Polish and Guinea Affair?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
My White Crested Polish, the one who steadfastly insists on tagging along with the juvenile guineas, is ready to lay any day now. She's been squatting!
Thing is, she has access to different nesting boxes, and she keeps trying to squat/lay in the dame place as my adult guinea hen. Is that alright?

Moreover, I don't plan on getting more fowl for at least a year or two, and that is only if I expand the run and build an additional coop.
If that does happen and things fall into play, what are your thoughts on guinhens?
The unlikely but not impossible cross between a chicken and a guinea-
And a Polish chicken at that!
I've read that once in a while, a chicken and guinea DO manage a fertile egg and successful hatch.

First question, is it alright for my Polish to lay where she seems to want to lay?
Second, in the future, how would it turn out if she had successful offspring with a guinea?
Aside from the obvious fantasies on how it might appear, would it be healthy? How might it be with domestication?

Choice of nest site is :idunno. As long as it doesn't inconvenience you I don't understand the problem. Guinea fowl/chicken crosses do occur but somewhat infrequently and frequently with limited viability.
It's no inconvenience to me. Wasn't sure if it might upset the guinea hen since that's 'her spot'. It's easy to tell eggs apart, so that isn't an issue.
And I know the cross is unlikely. I'm not at a point of being ready for more fowl. But in the future, maybe.
I was wondering of anyone had experience with the hybrids; if so, how they did in terms of health and domestication.
Would my Polish be broody and hatch them, or would I need an incubator?
And I can't help being a little curious what the cross would look like between the two; it's fun to imagine.

Google Guinea chicken hybrid - some pictures should come up. Give the same search on site. Somewhere there is a thread about a guinea/chicken cross.

There is a thread, it was called something like "Miracle, the guin/hen." A lot of folks deliberately attempted breeding,to get some. Consensus they didn't live long. Miracle had size but, her organs were small. Her heart gave out early in life but, not before she had a large following of folks like me, that loved her story. Her people mother Menna offered fans ,feathers after Miracle passed. She said I was the only one to ask, I got several and I've kept them in the original envelope.

Miracle loved purple petunias, so I also had a little Miracle garden spot, with them.

There is a thread, it was called something like "Miracle, the guin/hen." A lot of folks deliberately attempted breeding,to get some. Consensus they didn't live long. Miracle had size but, her organs were small. Her heart gave out early in life but, not before she had a large following of folks like me, that loved her story. Her people mother Menna offered fans ,feathers after Miracle passed. She said I was the only one to ask, I got several and I've kept them in the original envelope.

Miracle loved purple petunias, so I also had a little Miracle garden spot, with them.
Thank you for sharing this information. It's sad to know that Miracle had such problems and didn't make it.
She does sound like a wonderful bird.

Back
Top Bottom