Polish Chick Cannot Look Up

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
What’s wrong with this sweet bird? Little Jovi has been like this since she was tiny. No injuries. She’s about 8 weeks old. Her body is always parallel to the ground. She eats and drinks fine. She doesn’t seem to have a clue what’s going on otherwise. She so sweet though! She never stands up straight and her neck is turned to the right all the time. Just curious what you all think! I’m not worried about her, just wondering what this is. Also would love confirmation that it’s a girl.

And my apologies for all the questions lately! I have 19 birds in this “one (or two) of everything” batch so I have a lot to learn here!

Last edited:
It looks like a girl to me. What you are describing sounds like wry neck. If you google wry neck or search it on here you will find lots of ways to help her. I love Polish.

Thank you so much! I didn’t realize this could possibly be treated!! I’m so happy to hear that!

Do you (or anyone else) know how/if I can add selenium to the chicks water? I don’t want to separate her unless I really have to for her safety. I’ve added vitachick to their water. Giving only her food supplements doesn’t sound very easy with the other 16 chicks/keets around. Especially with how oblivious she is to everything. I’d rather just add to the water and be done with it.

You will need to give it to her orally, shouldn't be to hard. Once a day give her an E capsule, poke a hole in it and drip it in her beak, some cooked egg, sunflower seeds, or canned tuna will give her some selenium. I would also give her a super B complex tablet once a day, just put it in her beak and let her swallow it. Sometimes the B's can cause weird neurological symptoms also.
One other thought, can she see well? Sometimes that crest can really inhibit their ability to see so some people will trim it back or kind of ponytail it (make sure whatever you use can't be swallowed if it comes off).
Anything you put in the water is going to be too dilute to reverse a possible deficiency, you need to use higher doses for this.

Thank you!! The nurse in me is dying to know exact dosages but am I fine to just use what I find based on your instructions? Not too much concern for overdosing or anything like that? Going to get the supplies tomorrow first thing. So excited that there’s a chance for this sweet girl to get better! 🥰
You will need to give it to her orally, shouldn't be to hard. Once a day give her an E capsule, poke a hole in it and drip it in her beak, some cooked egg, sunflower seeds, or canned tuna will give her some selenium. I would also give her a super B complex tablet once a day, just put it in her beak and let her swallow it. Sometimes the B's can cause weird neurological symptoms also.
One other thought, can she see well? Sometimes that crest can really inhibit their ability to see so some people will trim it back or kind of ponytail it (make sure whatever you use can't be swallowed if it comes off).
Anything you put in the water is going to be too dilute to reverse a possible deficiency, you need to use higher doses for this.

The B's are very safe, no worries there. E is usually 400iu, long term that can be overdosed, but it's important to get the levels up now. The selenium is just a tiny amount needed. Polish and silkies are much more prone to wry neck, common causes are vitamin deficiency, some diseases, and head injury.
More on wry neck, and polish links below:
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html
https://poultrykeeper.com/keeping-chickens/diseases-common-to-polands/
Thank you so much!! I love this page! You guys are wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom