Polish eye injury - 3 weeks later no improvement..help?

Hi spish,
Your bird has a sinus infection, but unfortunately you CANNOT use baytril on this bird. DO NOT use anything made with table salt on the eyes! The salt will eat out the eyes. That is not the same as saline solution. You can use Tylan 50 or 200 injectable. You will need a syringe and inject it just under the skin at the base of the neck and between the shoulders. Gently pull the feathers upward til you can see the skin and push the needle in til it enters the skin and inject. Do not go any farther as you do not want to get the spine. I do not know how big the bird is so I would do .5cc/ml each day for a few days and see how it's doing. Baytril is a very strong antibiotic that is banned in any poultry which eggs are eaten. If you use Baytril you will not be able to eat the eggs this bird lays nor hatch them as the baytril will remain in the chicken. If you were to eat the eggs or bird after giving it Baytril you will get very sick. Tylan 50 or 200 is better and safer to use. What I would like you to do is wash your hands and touch the puffy area around the eye, does it feel soft or hard? If it feels like a hard mass you might have to lance under the eye near the beak to remove the cyst. If it is soft then an antibiotic will work for this. Here is a link to what I did on my black shoulder peacock who got a sinus infection that wasn't caught early enough, granted his head is a lot bigger then your chickens but still the same results:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/504944/swollen-side-of-face-cyst-surgery

Last edited:
hi. im unfortunatly unable to get injectable antibiotics here for poultry. i have antibiotics in a tablet form from when i had pneumonia a few months back?
the mass over the eye is soft not hard..it's like a pink/white third eye lid' thenunder that is where the pus forms.
here are some pics from this mornings clean up..on thelast pic you'll see the big cheesy pus thing from under his eyelid.. ive looked in his mouth and there is no pus on the top of his mouth. there is also no discharge from his mouth or nose., no snot, no sneezing. nothing else to suggest a sinus problem, which make me think infection from an injury instead of sickness....
ive trimmed back all the feathes on this side from his face so its easier to keep clean. how can i remove the crusty bits at the base of his feathers? its really caked in there but i dont want to use an soap so close to his eye....

before removing the pus....

after removing pus..

notice the pus ball to the right....

and inside his mouth...(this photo was taken before removing the pus ball..hence why the eye looks so bulgy)

i also noticed under his wings today hundreds of lice eggs :( can i treat him with ivomec while he's on other meds??

Last edited:
What antibiotic do you have and how many mg's is it? I'll look it up and post the recommended dose, drug interactions and warnings. The book I use for this is Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, 7th Edition.

i have amoclane (875/125mg) or i have avelox 400mg or i have diclofenac 75mg

Last edited:
i have amoclane (875/125mg) or i have avelox 400mg or i have diclofenac 75mg

I know what diclofenac is, lol, that won't work on bacterial infections. I'll have to research the other two, I'm not sure what they are called here in the US. Can you weigh him? I use a digital kitchen scale (see my avatar).

Yes it is a sinus infection that has started in the cavity behind that eye. Just because you do not see it in the roof of the mouth doesn't mean it isn't a sinus infection. Now if you stopped cleaning it the eye socket will fill and then the infection will spread to the other side of the nasal cavity that is when you will see the signs inside the mouth. Yes I would use Ivermectin on this bird ASAP to get rid of the lice because the lice aren't helping it's situation. If this bird has lice then so do all your other birds and they to will need to be treated. Tylan 50 is for cattle not poultry so check your feed store to see if they have it, you can also try a fish store or pet store and get Fish Mox (amoxicilin) it is an antibiotic for fish and it will work in poultry as well. What is the medicine you have on hand that you took? never mind just saw it LOL

Last edited:
You have received a number of opinions so far. I would start Tylan 50 injectable, (a cattle drug) to be given in the breast muscle for 3 days, alternating sides. Use a small needle, and you can give it up to 5 days if there is no improvement. It can be given orally in water for a longer period, but does not work as well. Using a soft facecloth with warm water as a soak while you are holding the bird for 10 minutes at a time would be soothing.

Last edited:
You have received a number of opinions so far. I would start Tylan 50 injectable, (a cattle drug) to be given in the breast muscle for 3 days, alternating sides. Use a small needle, and you can give it up to 5 days if there is no improvement. Using a soft facecloth with warm water as a soak while you are holding the bird for 10 minutes at a time would be soothing.
They're in Belgium and most of Europe can't go to the feed store and get drugs the way we can.

Your Avelox (Moxifloxacin) is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. It's in the same group of drugs as Cipro and Baytril, both are great antibiotics, so I'm sure yours is, too. Curiously, did your Dr, start you on the Amoclan then switch to Avelox after doing some blood work? All fluoroquinolones are banned for use here in the US for use in food animals, but many countries still allow their use. Your patient, lol, is a rooster, so if we can figure out what dose to use on him, you should never eat him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom