Polish Hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jktrahan, Jan 18, 2011.

1. jktrahan

jktrahan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Sweet Lake
    I picked up what was supposed to be a Polish 14 month old "hen" yesterday. But, after getting her home and observing her more closely i'm starting to think She is a He, due to the large red waddles. I was clear that I only wanted a hen and even asked the seller how big the eggs are that she lays and that i did not realize they would be white until i saw her ear lobs that are white.

So did I get a Hen or a Rooster?

[​IMG]

2. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    Pullet

3. jktrahan

jktrahan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Sweet Lake
    thank goodness... how can you tell? all the pics i find online show the roosters with the large waddles and the hens have none.

4. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Hard to tell from this pic only, but if the birds is 14 months, a Roo would have spurs. They may be just nubs, but there would be something there. Pretty bird BTW.

5. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    The neck hackle, saddle hackle (cushion in females) and shoulder area feathers are rounded and not pointed and glossy like you'd find on a male.....also her tail shape is 100% female.....on Silver and Golden laced Polish young hens ...(males have this too)...their crest will be opposite color lacing from their body lacing....when your female is older...her silver laced black crest will be replaced with black laced silver like the rest of her body....(just thought you might want to know).... Also...if she were a male....her wattles would be much larger....and would have long sickle tail feathers and the beginning growth of leg spurs.

6. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    It is a non bearded Silver Laced Polish Pullet/ Hen.

Here is a Pullet.

[​IMG]

Here is a Cockeral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the differance in the Crest. The Pullet is more rounded and the cockeral just has a bad hair day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by