Polish pictures

Jkraft, your tolbunt looks like she might actually be a Houdan. Does she have 4 toes, or 5? Even if she has 4, you occasionally see 4 toed birds from hatchery Houdan stock. Her build is Houdan-y.

Lanaep10, it is easier to tell gender when comparing between birds of the same variety... but generally the first thing I notice with crested is that the toes and legs are a little more robust, thick and fleshy and big, on male chicks, and thin and delicate on females. Probably another month or 2 before you can be reasonably sure.

Hey, do any of you have Polish from Ideal Poultry? I desperately need to see some pictures of what Ideal is selling these days. If you can help, please check out my thread asking for pictures of Ideal's Buff laced, Silver laced, and or Gold laced Polish.

Thank you so much for any photos you can share! Or, if you can point me to Ideal Polish pics you've posted elsewhere, that would be great too!

Jkraft, your tolbunt looks like she might actually be a Houdan. Does she have 4 toes, or 5?  Even if she has 4, you occasionally see 4 toed birds from hatchery Houdan stock. Her build is Houdan-y.

She has 4 toes. After talking to other people I have come to the conclusion she is a polish hen that is mottled with leakage. She is not from a hatchery but a local breeder. I'm on my phone but can add more photos later. She is a diva and acts just like other people who has polish hens. She can be very noisy.

JKraft, zooming in on your last picture I can definitely see the brown at the base of her feathers. It looks like she is a rather dark Tolbunt polish.

FYI, the Tolbunt pattern contains mottled, giving the feathers a white tip offset with a black band; it's basically a Mille Fleur (which also contains mottled). Just like a silver laced can be bred with too much lacing so that most of the feathers are black, a tolbunt can be bred too dark so that the black band is very wide and there isn't much brown on the feathers.

Tolbunt Polish were created in Europe by crossing mottled birds of another breed (cough, Houdan, cough) with laced Polish. So there is a good chance that any Tolbunt out there has a bit of Houdan in it. It changes the shape of the bird a bit. The old laced Polish (which you see in old books) tend to be more leggy and less blocky...

Here is the URL of my please-post-Ideal-Polish-pics thread, in case anybody needs it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1111755/ideals-buff-laced-polish-etc-pictures

Last edited:
Thank you so much Expo! Here are some more pictures. I wasn't able to get on my computer till today and uploading photos from my phone is a pain. I have never seen a polish like her, but she is my first and only polish.

Back
Top Bottom