Polish Roo or Hen??

MamaChik

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 1, 2012
hot as hell but beautiful Arizona
Ok, i got 3 babies this year . 2 Serama's and one Bearded Golden Polish. Both of the Serama's have turned out to be roos but not 100% sure about the polish. I am hoping I ended up with one pullet here but I think I might have struck out on that endevour. LOL
I am starting to think Maggie is a Roo.They are about 6-8 weeks old
Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:
It looks like its top hat is getting somewhat crazy like a roo, but I think there is still time for it to form like a hen. I'm not seeing any red on its face/comb/wattles. I think there is still hope for you yet. If there any behavioral stuff that makes you think 'boy'?

It looks like its top hat is getting somewhat crazy like a roo, but I think there is still time for it to form like a hen. I'm not seeing any red on its face/comb/wattles. I think there is still hope for you yet. If there any behavioral stuff that makes you think 'boy'?

His crest feathers are pointy and sticking out straight, that's what made me think boy. Girls usually have a more rounded crest with rounded feathers.

There are no signs of any red or a wattle at all. the other 2 have big ones as you can see. but the polish I think taker longer. the other 2 pick on him/her so i am thinking he might be a roo just very mellow? and there is no aggression from him to the other 2

Last edited:
The head feathers aren't always accurate however, as we had a Polish with a very rounded 'headpiece' that we were sure was a pullet. Until we noticed his spurs, wattle and comb growing out. Our suspicions were confirmed the day he started crowing and when we caught him trying to mount one of our other hens, haha! It's only now that we're seeing his pointed crest feathers, but until they really started growing out and had already well begun to obstruct his vision could you see them. They'd been more rounded as he was growing up.

The pointy crest makes me think cockerel, but the coloring and face redness are those of a pullet. I'd just wait and see.

The other 2 are crowing. And all 3 have spurs breaking through as I checked this evening. I only got 3 babies this year and all 3 turn out to be boys.maybe I should play the Lottery???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom