Polish Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How old does a Polish need to be before accurate sexing is possible? Do cockerels reliably get wattles more quickly than the pullets? Thanks.
by the time they get a actual crest coming in the boys will get pointieer cetera and the hens will get rounded ones just check the tips of the crest deters around 2 months and you might be able to tell.

Just wondered, chickensforlifee. I have one blue splash that has wattles and the rest don't. However there has to be many more that are cockerels.

How old does a Polish need to be before accurate sexing is possible? Do cockerels reliably get wattles more quickly than the pullets? Thanks.

It is actually easier to sex by crest feather shape than wattles, in all honesty.

boys more often than not get these crazy rockstar do's that have very pointy feathers are are not that globular

females have very globe-ish crests.

That is so sad! Sounds like you have an offending alpha hen inspiring all the hens into injurious behavior. Are they all penned or are they free-ranged? He probably can't get away from the hens ganging up on him! Or he may just be a timid soul that doesn't have the personality to get away from the hens. Sometimes it takes one mean hen to spread contagious behavior to the other hens -- just like feather-picking or egg-eating can spread throughout a flock if the offending leader isn't nipped in the bud and removed immediately. We had to remove a feather-eating Marans out of the flock when we realized a Silkie wasn't molting but being eaten alive on the roost at night! The Marans was a very nasty tempered hen, challenging and combating the alpha White Leghorn, chewing the docile Silkie on the roost at night, and openly clawing and fighting another little timid Silkie. I don't introduce heavy, large, or dual-purpose breeds into the Silkie flock any more. Ameraucana and Breda are the only two gentle docile breeds we found compatible with our timid Silkies. Polish, Sultans, Easter Eggers, Cochins, and other breeds are gentle too but we have limited zoning; otherwise I would have those breeds too.
They are actually free range and the hens love him. They sit down for him to breed.And actually polish chickens are very territorial and will pick on any new hen who steps in their territory. And he is not a timid soul he fought of the alpha male not even in his group the highest rooster all the the groups we have. (He didnt win but he did it)(and no no one was hurt they never get hurt at pour place we whacth them fight and one always walks away after about 10 minutes or so)

Are they pecking his head out of vicousness or curiosity? And is he new o the flock or been there a while? If your hens are not polish they may just be curious as to "why the heck he has a cool afro?" or are simply asserting their dominance.

Girls can be mean. In general. (I would know, I am one XD)

Give them some time to adjust. The more they re around eachother the more comfortable they will get.
They grew up with him since chicks. He was the adult in their flock. I think they are just cleaning his crest and plucking the feather out. It is only in one spot also right at the back of his head in the middle. He will get sprouts for new feather grow them out then there gone.

Can polish chicks be sexed at a month of age? Their "Pom poms" definitely look different from each other but their hatchery chicks.
Thanks very much in advance, if you think it's possible I'll post pics!

A month is a little early for polish but please do post some pics :D There maybe subtle differences in the chicks that may help with sexing.

Oh thank you so much I understand it may be way too soon but any help is appreciated! I'll post pics later this eve! There are huge differences, it may be because they are hatchery chicks but we'll see!
Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom