Announcement Political Ads On BYC - Not Gonna Happen!

that's funny, except for the shredded stuff that I'm sure they left.
Yeah, they did, but, on the bright side, it was just a strip of grass between the road and a wooded hill, so it didn't get shredded anywhere it would really be a problem. Unless of course it adds insult to injury by you pulling over due to care problems and get a flat tire from the metal wire things...

We're heading into a pretty unprecedented election here in the US.

In preparation for this, we've decided to disallow politically / charged discussions.

With this intense election comes more ad-spending by both parties than we've ever seen before! A lot of websites will be taking advantage of this tremendous flow of $$ and enabling political ads on their pages.

Well, to make sure BYC is putting our money where our mouths are (almost literally), we've completely disabled ALL political ads from showing to any of our site visitors.

Sure, this may create a big missed opportunity, especially during the months where traffic to BYC is at it's lowest, but we've decided to be very mindful of our amazing community visitors and members, which mean more to us than a bunch of dirty political money! LOL! ;)

Similarly, we've made the choice not to allow pop-up ads, auto-play audio ads, dating ads, and a slew of other "categories" of ads that might bring in a ton of $$, but we've decided it's not worth it. (It's reasons like this that we suggest peeps hang out here instead of FB, that clearly sells your data and will show you whichever ads pay you the most, regardless of which party <cough> or foreign entities</cough> ;) ) are paying. Let's see if Zuckerberg is also willing to completely block all political ads like we do!?!)

A few things we would like to request:
  1. Ad Blockers: Please avoid using them on BYC. Ads are by far the primary way we keep the site free for millions of people. We disable a bunch of the ad placements for members to make their experience better. We also disable 100% of all ads for our Premium Feather Members (PFM). So, if you'd like to use BYC, please either do so with ads enabled, or purchase / win a PFM.
  2. Patience With Slippery Ads: We have a lot of great ad-partners and a ton of fancy tech to try and keep unsavory ads out. Even with this in place, sometimes "bad ads" slip through the filters. If you see a political ad, or another ad that you feel doesn't align with our community, please send me a private message conversation with a screenshot of the ad.
Thanks to all our amazing members for making BYC such a fantastic place to visit and hang-out!!!
Great news!! Enough is enough. We'll watch your ads and try to buy from them in order to support your Good list!!

I don't believe that buying from the adds actually helps, simply "seeing" the add triggers the payment
This is (mostly) true.

If peeps really want to go the extra-mile to support BYC:
  1. Turn off ad-blockers
  2. Purchase or win a PFM
  3. Buy from our sponsors and/or email them and let them know you're thankful for their support of BYC! https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/byc-sponsors.47707/ (also see the sponsors in the footer sponsor tiles at the bottom of each page.

FYI: I saw a slightly political ad (for some proposition #) and IMMEDIATELY reported it to our ad team. Here is their quick and awesome reply!

"Thank you for sending in that screenshot. We will work with our ad partners to get that blocked.

I've confirmed that you are not opted into politics on any of your sites; however, with the election around the corner, these ads will often mislabel and miscategorize themselves to get past filters. We're working hard to make sure this doesn't happen, but please send in any others you may find."

We're doing all we can to keep BYC a very wonderful place for all our visitors!

This is an ad that just popped up for me! I find it offensive and tried to report it but I couldn't. Can you help @Nifty-Chicken ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200930-191727.png
    Screenshot_20200930-191727.png
    501.4 KB · Views: 14
Good job grabbing the screenshot.

For reporting these, here's what you need to send me via PM conversation:

1) A screeenshot of the ad on BYC
2) hover over the ad and right-click then "copy URL/link"

Send both of those items to me in a PM and we'll forward it to our ad partners. Having this info is important and gives them a better chance of tracking it down and blocking it.

Back
Top Bottom