poll: are you legal or an outlaw?

An outlaw. The local ordinance say they are allowed (but not roosters) if the distance from the coop to the surrounding homes is at least 200 feet. None of the homes in my community have that kind of space so why do they even bother saying they are allowed? I believe the distance is less than 200 feet. It doesn't seem right because all of the surrounding areas have considerably shorter distance requirements. I don't give a crap in this instance. I usually follow the laws and any local ordinances but this just isn't right. They don't bother anybody. I clean the coop every day, removing the poop and putting it in the composter. They make hardly any noise and the neighbor's dogs hardly ever shut up. I don't think a neighbor will complain though. I've promised free organic free-range eggs to some of them. I'll hand some over periodically and hope for the best.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Oh how true.

I have 3 roosters. They crow in the morning and usually about 2 more choruses during the day. Neighbors 1/8 to 1/4 mile away talk about how loud they are. When I asked the closest neighbor (100' from one of the coops) if they bothered her, she told me she didn't even know I had chickens.
Go figure.

The car traffic is way louder than my chickens most of the time.

Legal- I think the municipal codes states that You can't have Pigs, sheep, cows, goats or any wild animal with the exception of reptiles or birds.
Last time I checked Chickens are Birds!
Of Coarse, I will not be going to the village hall to ask. Figure if I don't ask they can't say No!!!

Quote:
I found out recently that while New Orleans does not have any specific laws concerning chickens, it does have a "kennel" law. One cannot have more than 4 animals of any kind. This includes dogs, cats, and birds. So I guess 4 of my 8 RIRs are illegal.

Im happy to say that Im legal... For now hehe. The law says we can have 10 birds but once I get my incubator I will have way more than that. My BF wants to get some pheasants come spring and I say what the heck? Why not?

Legal. We bought our house a year ago, and I told the realtor, If the property doesn't allow chickens, don't bother showing it to me, lol. We live outside the city limits, zoned residential--agricultural, and can have whatever we want.
big_smile.png

not sure, the township allows chickens to the best of my knowledge. But the HOA does not allow "permanent structures designed to house animals" My coop is movable, with the help of six or eight of my buddies. . .

president of the HOA does not seem to care( that's me BTW), and all of my neighbors buy eggs from my daughter when she walks around the neighborhood with her basket.

I'll keep them until a judge tells me otherwise.

Jerry

Our neighbords used to have a tiny dog that they would let out every morning, 5-6 o'clock in the morning. He ALWAYS got away, and they would always scream at him right under our window as he peed in our yard. "Bandit! No! Bad dog bandit! Come back here!"
Every. Day.
We might as well have gotten a rooster.

But yeah, as I said, we're outlaws. But we did ask permission wth our neighbors first.

Back
Top Bottom