• key lime

• Banana cream

• Peach

• Pecan

• Cherry

• sugar cream

• coconut cream

• Mississippi mud

• A different pie (please comment what it is)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Pics
In the original survey, OP only asked everyone about their favorite pie. Dessert wasn't mentioned, although OP said they loved berries, but that you couldn't use cheesecake.
I'm still voting "other", aka CHICKEN POT PIE!
:gig
Who would use cheesecake? Cheesecake is a cake, not a pie!
In my book, a pie is specifically a type of dish where a filling is entirely contained by a bottom crust and a side crust, and is baked or assembled in a pie tin or tart pan. It is to be eaten with a fork, or rather messily with the hands. A top crust is optional, and is typically not used for custard pies, cream pies, pecan pies, or certain kinds of berry/fruit/vegetable (the vegetable is pumpkin) pies, but is often used for savory pies, such as chicken pot or shepherd's.
A cheesecake, however, has only a bottom crust, with perhaps a little bit on the sides, but not enough to really act as a container for the filling.
Rant over.

No one has mentioned Mulberry pie?!?! That is my favorite. So yummy.
I also love pumpkin, coconut cream, cherry, apple, peach, key lime, and lemon meringue. This is a fun thread.
Chicken pot pie is awesome too.

In my book, a pie is specifically a type of dish where a filling is entirely contained by a bottom crust and a side crust, and is baked or assembled in a pie tin or tart pan. It is to be eaten with a fork, or rather messily with the hands. A top crust is optional, and is typically not used for custard pies, cream pies, pecan pies, or certain kinds of berry/fruit/vegetable (the vegetable is pumpkin) pies, but is often used for savory pies, such as chicken pot or shepherd's.
A cheesecake, however, has only a bottom crust, with perhaps a little bit on the sides, but not enough to really act as a container for the filling.
Rant over.
Cheesecake needs no crust. It stands alone. Superior and mighty. (It’s my favorite)

Now, one thing that might be quite tasty would be baking cheesecake filling in a pie crust.... that would be called something along the lines of "cheesepie," or "cheesetart," perhaps. It would no longer quite be a cake, I do not believe, as -- due to the aforementioned reasons in my previous post -- the crust comes up the side in a thick layer to completely enclose the filling on all sides but the top.

Apologies -- it seems that I used this thread as an outlet for my dish classification tangents. I should try to shut up now.

In the original survey, OP only asked everyone about their favorite pie. Dessert wasn't mentioned, although OP said they loved berries, but that you couldn't use cheesecake.
I'm still voting "other", aka CHICKEN POT PIE!
:gig
Rant over.
I agree with you entirely. Glad to see a kindred spirit. My opinion is that pie is a dessert and therefore savory pie are not pie. A pie can include by the mention of the word a chicken pot pie, a pizza pie, the whole enchilada a piece of the pie. Perhaps even 3.141596...but pi is not a pie. And chicken pot pie or money is not dessert

I agree with you entirely. Glad to see a kindred spirit. My opinion is that pie is a dessert and therefore savory pie are not pie. A pie can include by the mention of the word a chicken pot pie, a pizza pie, the whole enchilada a piece of the pie. Perhaps even 3.141596...but pi is not a pie. And chicken pot pie or money is not dessert
Dear goodness, let's not bring pi into this -- I'm not being that specific when I cut my pies! 😆

Dear goodness, let's not bring pi into this -- I'm not being that specific when I cut my pies! 😆
That being said lets not consider loosely on the definition of a dessert pie. Multiple things can be considered a pie based on the defination of a flavorful filling in a crust. The main point is it dessert or not? Savory pie are not dessert. In all fairness we should split this into 2 categories: dessert or dinner

Regular pie pan that I have downstairs: 9-inch diameter, which means that it has a 4.5-inch radius.
Formula for the circumference of a circle: 2pir, which is 2 times pi (= approximately 3.14) times the radius, r.
2pi times 4.5 = approximately 6.28 times 4.5 = 28.26 inches.

Lesson over.

That being said lets not consider loosely on the definition of a dessert pie. Multiple things can be considered a pie based on the defination of a flavorful filling in a crust. The main point is it dessert or not? Savory pie are not dessert. In all fairness we should split this into 2 categories: dessert or dinner
I believe that the word, "pie," is an umbrella term for any dish which consists of, as I said before, a filling (savory or sweet) enclosed partially or completely by a crust of sorts.
The category can be further broken down into, as you said, the two categories of dessert and dinner.
"Pie" has been used to refer to a type of dish for centuries, be it sweet or savory.
This is an extremely intriguing conversation, by the way... may I ask if you agree on that point?

Back
Top Bottom