Votes: 6 1.9%
  • 151-200

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 201-500

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 500+

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
My roo to hen ratio needs to be worked on. I have to many cockerels. It's probably about 4 - 5 hens per roo but what I see most if the time is actually the roos grouping together to manage a flock of hens. There are two main groups but I've seen some shifting in the pecking order recently. One group is a group of the large fowl adult hens run by Dragon as the main roo and also Blacky who is my mother's old swedish black rooster. The other group has all the young ones hatched this year in it. Copper and Biscuit are the main roos but Boo Boo, Stunning, Gold Lace, Scarlett, Frito, Dorito, and and the unintelligent faverolle rooster are in that group too. Darlene, Raven, and Red are a few hens who have left the main flocks and prefer to follow the humans around like dogs!

My roo to hen ratio needs to be worked on. I have to many cockerels. It's probably about 4 - 5 hens per roo but what I see most if the time is actually the roos grouping together to manage a flock of hens. There are two main groups but I've seen some shifting in the pecking order recently. One group is a group of the large fowl adult hens run by Dragon as the main roo and also Blacky who is my mother's old swedish black rooster. The other group has all the young ones hatched this year in it. Copper and Biscuit are the main roos but Boo Boo, Stunning, Gold Lace, Scarlett, and and the unintelligent faverolle rooster are in that group too. Darlene, Raven, and Red are a few hens who have left the main flocks and prefer to follow the humans around like dogs!
I won't be keeping all those chickens but people prefer to buy them during spring (after they've made the feed bill go higher all winter!)

At the moment I have 19... Come spring I will add approx. 150 chicks that I am hatching. Few will stay ( I breed for show) the ones who don't make the cut will be sold. Most roosters will go in the freezer. Then I'll be back with about 20 or so at the end of the year. Repeat the following year.

I probably get 5-7 chickens a year (I have 11 now).
IMG_20210106_1455403.jpg

Three pullets and one cockerel. I'd like to add 2-4 more pullets this spring. If one of the girls goes broody, that is. Don't really want to brood in the house again. So. Much. Dust.

I'd love to hatch a couple eggs; probably not more. One in four chance 2 eggs = 2 boys; same for 2 girls. Fifty-fifty on a split. Probably just buy pullets to be safe(r).

7. I would love more but we’ve done so much construction lately I don’t know if we have the time to build another coop!
That's what always stops me! Not space, but infrastructure. With the garden, the rabbitry, fencing, and everything else we can only build so many things a year as a family and I can't be bothered to do it alone :oops:

Back
Top Bottom