• 151-200

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 201-500

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 500+

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters
Pics
18 hens and the mellowist roo I've ever seen. The girls are so mean to him. My 3 speckled sussex insist on sleeping right up against or under him. Poor guy. He took to roosting on top the nest boxes and they followed him. He's a freedom/red ranger. I have 2 hens of the same breed and 3 ISAs. Those ones are 20-24 months old. Then I have 3 calico, 3 sapphire, 3 red sex link, 1 black austrlorp (had 3 but lost 2 a few weeks ago for reasons unknown), and the above mentioned sussux that are 40 weeks old.

I've had meat birds in the past, but went with all layers last spring. Don't know what I will do this spring. If someone goes broody, I may let them hatch a batch and butcher any cockerels. Or I may buy a couple dozen rangers again.

18 hens and the mellowist roo I've ever seen. The girls are so mean to him. My 3 speckled sussex insist on sleeping right up against or under him. Poor guy. He took to roosting on top the nest boxes and they followed him. He's a freedom/red ranger. I have 2 hens of the same breed and 3 ISAs. Those ones are 20-24 months old. Then I have 3 calico, 3 sapphire, 3 red sex link, 1 black austrlorp (had 3 but lost 2 a few weeks ago for reasons unknown), and the above mentioned sussux that are 40 weeks old.

I've had meat birds in the past, but went with all layers last spring. Don't know what I will do this spring. If someone goes broody, I may let them hatch a batch and butcher any cockerels. Or I may buy a couple dozen rangers again.
I'm sure your mellow roo would make some decent meat bird babies - especially with your bigger girls. I am all about sustainability. It would be nice to have an all in-house production.

Back
Top Bottom