Pomeranian Goose Breed Thread

Pics
Hi I was wondering if someone on this thread could tell me where to get some buff pomeranian geese? I have a lonely gander I would take goslings, adults or eggs. I am located in west central Illinois. Thanks is advance for the help.

Hi I was wondering if someone on this thread could tell me where to get some buff pomeranian geese? I have a lonely gander I would take goslings, adults or eggs. I am located in west central Illinois. Thanks is advance for the help.

Hi! I just listed 5+ hatching eggs from my Buff Saddleback Poms on eBay for a 24 hour auction last night: My user name is rmssilva on there. If you don't want to try the auction, I do sell them outright and only have one more person on my waiting list scheduled for next weeks eggs. PM me if you are interested.

Have a great day,
Rhonda

PS...their are photos of my birds in the photo gallery that is shown in my signature area on this post. Click that and you can see some pics. I also have a few on my eBay auction.

I've got 3 little baby goslings in a Rubbermaid tub in my bathroom.

The crows are horrid this year. They have attacked the geese as well as stealing eggs. So, I got 3 eggs by beating the crows to them as soon as they were laid, and those went into the incubator.

The ganders finally woke up and started to do their job and keep the crows away from the eggs. The crows have only gotten a couple of eggs since them and there is a nest full of eggs with the geese taking turns sitting on them. I'm sure as soon as the goslings hatch, they will have to be moved to a covered pen or the crows will kill them.

I found one egg laying out on the dirt, so that one has gone into the incubator, too. It was fresh laid, still warm when I picked it up.

I don't know how many eggs in the nest, but there are a.lot of them.

I had been picking up all the turkey eggs and duck eggs. The turkey eggs went into the incubator and the duck eggs got baked into brownies. The turkey hen started to brood, on an empty nest. I figured she was wasting her time but I finally saw her off the nest yesterday and she has 14 turkey eggs and 3 duck eggs. I don;t know how that will work because she has been on the eggs the entire time she was laying them. I suspect the hatch will be spread out over weeks and I will have to take the eggs and move them into the incubator.

Hatching advice for dry climates:

I had not hatched geese in the incubator before. I prefer to have them naturally hatched and raised and trained by their mother. But with this crow raiding, I figured I wouldn't get any goslings this year without hatching them myself.

I'm in the desert and the air is very dry. No matter how much water I put into the incubator, i can't get the humidity up. The birds will grow and start to hatch, but as soon as the shell is broken, their membranes dry out and the baby can't move. Fortunately, I learned that (the hard way) with turkey eggs, so now whenever the shell is first cracked, i wait until the next day and crack the large end off the egg and pull the dried membrane off the bird. Once the head is free I put the egg back into the incubator and let the baby rest and do the rest of the escaping from the shell.

The last gosling had his wing glued to the side of his face. He was still a little bloody and didn't leave the egg until the next day. But he is out and is a beautiful little guy with perfect markings.

When the egg is first cracked, the baby is not ready to be hatched. But once the shell is breached, the dry air can get in and dry the membranes out and shrink wrap the hatchling.

This should not be an issue in areas with high humidity or with incubators that hold humidity.

THanks for all the helpful information, Oregon Blues. I have been reading everything I can find as this is my first time trying to hatch eggs. I have a trio of Pomeranians - they naturally hatched 2 goslings last year and I am hoping they will this year as well, however I collected some eggs to incubate also. I also have some eggs that I set at the same time from my American Blue trio. I was able to candle them all today -- Four of the Pom eggs do not seem to be veining yet - today is day 10. The others are all veining nicely. Should I give them more time?
The four that are not are all from the same goose--- do you think it likely/possible that the gander is only mating with one of the two geese???? I have noticed them mating but haven't really watched to see if he has been mating with both of them.
Thanks for any suggestions

Hi Mrs. Magoo!

I have Grey and Buff Pomeranian Geese myself right now. Just starting and submitting membership to the American Livestock Breed Conservancy. I won't start breeding, however until next spring. I have other Goose breeds as well as Duck breeds. I am trying to keep focus on critical, endangered and threatened breeds. I will, however, in the meantime, be working on NPIP certification and the obtaining of some other difficult to find breeds. I wish you shipped goslings. Is there a current waiting list for your eggs? Our baby kids are spoiled and have three Great Pyrenees bodyguards and fruit and pecan orchards we will be growing orchard grasses in between and a huge pond we are filling for them on 55 acres. We are an Israeli style drip irrigation farm so we do not waste water via flood irrigating. Our large farm is located in Lordsburg, New Mexico by the Arizona border and our smaller farm is in Las Cruces (Mesilla Valley). We are transitioning full time to Lordsburg. Thank goodness for power inverters in the truck to plug the incubators in. The orchards are producing already as it is a well established farm. I was pleased to find this thread on Backyard Chickens!

January

Man...you need some Great Pyrenees. My three girls hate the black fliers. They are only six months old and cannot stand them. I don't even put the ducklings or goslings out as a practice until they are a certain size for that very reason. I never had any of mine picked on by birds in the twenty plus years off and on I have worked with waterfowl, I guess I am just an overzealous mother...LOL! My problem has been with dogs, and here in the desert southwest you can also imagine what other predators of different shapes and sizes are also out here.

I am being given a pair of adult Pomeranians who are around 6 years old. The gander is a gray and the goose is a buff. They have been living with 2 African pairs and a Chinese pair for a few years with no gander conflict. My 2 ganders are both Sebastopols, one gray and one white, and I am hoping that they will be fine with the Pomeranian gander since they are friendly with each other.

I already have 6 other geese, the gray Sebastopol has taken one and the White boy has taken two so there are 3 extra and lonely geese, 2 Toulouse and an Embden. They roam over an acre all day, have a 25x25 night pen and two 6ft. round stock tanks and two play pools, so no containment/small pen stress. Do I have a good chance for gander harmony? What do you think?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom