Pomeranian Goose Breed Thread

Pics

1MrsMagoo

Songster
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
St Tammany Parish LA
Welcome to the few, the proud, the owners of Pomeranian geese.

This thread was made so that we would have a place to post information, breeder links, and photos. It is my hope that we can help one another improve and preserve the breed we all have come to love.

Welcome to the Gaggle!

POMERANIAN BREEDERS LIST - please post your information below and I will copy it to this post.

1MrsMagoo: Buff Saddleback hatching eggs shipped, goslings locally, NPIP, SE Louisiana
Oregon Blues: Grey Saddleback hatching eggs shipped, goslings locally, NPIP, Central Oregon

Last edited:
my pomeranian goose (we think gander) Lock.
pretty blue eyes.
Lock was a bit of a fluke =] so if anyone knows someone selling pomeranian hatching eggs ...give me a msg we have been thinking about getting some more after we sex Lock to make sure he isnt a "Lucy"

Last edited:
Here Are Some Of Mine...
IMG_20181001_093516.jpg
IMG_20181001_093516.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181001_093516.jpg
    IMG_20181001_093516.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 3
Welcome Bhonkers!

In the United States, we have two colors accepted by the A.P.A. the Buff Saddleback and the Grey Saddleback. Of the two colors variants, the Gray is a tad bit easier to find, although good quality birds of either color are difficult to come by (especially now that Holderread's has dispersed their flock of greys).

Their are also a couple of old style German heritage flocks in the U.S. that do not meet the A.P.A. standard. These birds come in white, grey, buff, and saddleback coloration/patterns. They tend to have much pinker bill, legs, and feet. To the best of my knowledge, both primary flocks are now held by private individuals who do not sell eggs or goslings.

According to the American Livestock Breed Conservancy, the Saddleback Pomeranian is critically endangered in the U.S.
Link to their page:http://albc-usa.org/cpl/waterfowl/pomeranian.html

This breed of goose was considered one of the best table birds in colonial times and used to produce smoked goose breast.

According to the International Waterfowl Breeders Association's Webpage, here are the standards for the breed:

Standard Weights
Old Gander.......17 lbs. Young Gander....15 lbs
Old Goose.........15 lbs. Young Goose......13 lbs.​

BILL: Medium in length, nearly straight, stout.
EYES: Large and rather prominent.
HEAD: Fairly broad, somewhat refined, crown somewhat flat.
NECK: Medium in length, moderately stout; carried upright.
BACK: Slightly convex; approximately 60% more length than breadth.
TAIL: Somewhat short, closely-folded, carried nearly level.
WINGS: Rather long with tips crossing over tail coverts. Carried high, neatly and smoothly folded.
BODY: Moderately long, plump, deep and meaty; keel not permissible. Paunch moderately deep, broad, single-lobed (a dual lobed paunch is a serious defect.)
BREAST: Plump, broad.
LEGS AND FEET: Lower Thighs- medium length, plump, nearly concealed by ample thigh coverts. Shanks- moderately long, rather refined but sturdy. Feet- toes, straight and well-webbed.​

What isn't mentioned above is that the eyes are blue, feet and portion of the legs pink to reddish orange, and a pinkish-red to flesh colored bill. Also, the colored "saddle" should appear like a heart type shape when viewed from above.

Here are my original birds, who were purchased from a private person in Mississippi last summer: They are an unrelated mated pair I named John and Jean after my parents.

Here are some photos are their offspring and some birds I purchased from Kawonu directly and via Celtic.

Tucker and Caboosh: My best marked juvenile goose and gander.

Mom, dad,and the four surviving spring babies...lol.

Juveniles from Kawonu's stock.

And finally, the last two to hatch from my pair's eggs this spring...on Mother's Day. Shaazam and Bazinga.

I have a total of 15 of them, all Buff, right now: My two originals, 6 of their offspring, and 7 from Kawonu's stock.
I have pre-ordered 12 eggs from another source in Iowa for the upcoming season and am going to attempt to buy some from Butch Gunderson, who is or was V.P. of the A.P.A: He raises both the grey and buff birds.

Back
Top Bottom