Pomeranian Goose Breed Thread

Pics
Great advice from both of yall. I will try both. Now if it something mental should I leave her by herself or should I bring her back around the other two geese? The duck was the aggressive one. My brown and white Chinese never showed any aggression towards my Pom and they are virtually inseperable. Maybe seeing them walk around will inspire her?
You could try it. but don't leave her with them until your sure they won't pick on her sometimes when an animal is hurt it is instinct of the rest of the flock to try and drive them away to keep a predator from coming around. She may just need to rest some more days too so don't force her into doing more than she can. Water therapy being sure she can get in and out safely is about the best exercise since it takes the weight off instead of her trying to run around putting weight on when she maybe shouldn't.

My gozzies are three weeks old now. Sorry, I know that pictures are half the fun of forum chat threads; someday soon I will upload a pic to a post for the first time in my life! Since the weather has become milder, I moved them full-time into our chicken tractor. It's 5x8, but with five goslings in it constantly the poop load is a little heavy for my husband and his lawn to handle
tongue.png
. They sure are cute.

I tried vent sexing them last week and to my delight I found one definite male! I thought, I'm for sure doing this wrong if I can only find five females in this group. I'm sure there are more males. The one gosling I sexed as female is huge, the biggest of the bunch. I would be surprised if Hunkamunka doesn't turn out to be a boy. Their names are Hunkamunka, Sebastian, PeeWee, Pinky and Purpley. Guess which ones my three-year-old named?

These goslings were cheaper than any I've seen before, so I got them to raise for holiday feasts for my family. When local crossbreeds are selling for $15 a gosling, and these poms were $5 each, I'll take them all!! Love that grassfed meaty goodness. Anyway, my question: are Pomeranians so rare that, should any of these gozzies grow up to actually meet the SOP, I ought to keep/sell them as breeders, or just go ahead and eat them all? I'm halfway hoping they all grow up with bright orange beaks/feet so I don't have to make that decision. I kind of gave my word to a certain someone that we would definitely be butchering all five of these geese, and no, none of them would be overwintering in our backyard somewhere
cool.png

Also, some of the bigger ones look to be developing a lobe already. Is this normal/to be expected, or am I seeing things?

You don't typically see pure Pomeranian goslings that cheap. I sell mine for $15 each from birth to 12 days of age (in years when I sell any young ones at all). Yes, Pomeranians are rare, the Buffs considerably more so than the Gray, but neither has sufficient numbers to make it off the Livestock Conservancy's critical list.

It seems early for any substantial lobe development at three weeks of age, however I can't rule it out.

As to the retain or digest question: I have never eaten one of my geese since I am SO attached to them. Now if we had eaten all the chickens, ducks, muscovy, and turkeys and faced with starvation, then yes I would....lol. I know other members who butcher and say they are delightful though. Anyway, how about a potential compromise?

You retain a pair or possible trio of birds if they are single lobed, have the right type, and decent markings. You can tell the "certain someone" that by doing so, you will not have to buy goslings in the future to meet your needs to butcher plus may have eggs or goslings to sell to supplement their feed. Considering that 80% of their diet is grass, when available, I find them to be one of the most affordable birds I raise.

Good luck and post pics of them if you'd like any critiques.

Thanks for your reply 1MrsMagoo. Geese are my small family alternative to raising pork. I have dreams of down blankets for everyone. But if I chicken out at processing time, we have custom butchers in the area who do small orders of waterfowl. No feathers that way.
Truthfully I would be flabbergasted if these gozzies grow up true to type. I love breeding birds, but I don't think adding breeder geese to our little homestead would be the best. I'm Chief and Only Poultry Raiser around here, as well as Chief Child Wrangler and Bearer of Additional Progeny.
I will someday post pics and solicit feedback. I have a 1993 sop, but some things I'm just not very clear about. The ideal head shape, for instance. Something about being flat on top.

Thanks for your reply 1MrsMagoo. Geese are my small family alternative to raising pork. I have dreams of down blankets for everyone. But if I chicken out at processing time, we have custom butchers in the area who do small orders of waterfowl. No feathers that way.
Truthfully I would be flabbergasted if these gozzies grow up true to type. I love breeding birds, but I don't think adding breeder geese to our little homestead would be the best. I'm Chief and Only Poultry Raiser around here, as well as Chief Child Wrangler and Bearer of Additional Progeny.
I will someday post pics and solicit feedback. I have a 1993 sop, but some things I'm just not very clear about. The ideal head shape, for instance. Something about being flat on top.

I am also chief livestock wrangler, gardener, homeschool our teenager, help run our construction business, make soap/candles/paint, am President of a large exhibition poultry club, and put on an 800-1000 bird show every fall: So I know all about overextending ones self....lol.

One never knows when it comes to what you can find quality wise. I got VERY lucky when I purchased my first two Pomeranian s from a farm flock a few years ago. They weren't entirely to standard, but they had enough good points that they could be used to breed. As to your question about head shape, what I aim for is the shape on the goose in the back of this photo (she won reserve champion waterfowl at a show last fall). Also, her markings are what I find ideal. My only real complaint with her is the bill/leg/foot coloration: Too orange.

Just an off the wall suggestion for you, not to do with geese. We raise French White Muscovy ducks for meat here. The males can reach 12 pounds in 12 weeks and the meat is very lean with a taste like veal. If you are interested in meat birds, I cannot recommend them highly enough. The aren't nearly as interested in water as regular ducks, and are fairly easy to handle. The females are also excellent mothers and prolific layers. By the time the males start to get the carnucles on their faces, they are pretty much the size of a female Pomeranian. We butchered a 2 year old male last month that dressed out at 11.5 pounds. The young males dress out between 8.5-10.5 typically. I free range mine, and usually don't butcher till 5-6 months, but if confined and given food free choice, you could easily butcher them at 4 months.

Well I took all of yalls advice but she passed away sometime in the night. I feel awful because it's my fault and I couldn't save her. Thank you so much for all yalls help. Raising geese has definitely been a trial and error process. Hoping to get some more here soon

Well I took all of yalls advice but she passed away sometime in the night. I feel awful because it's my fault and I couldn't save her. Thank you so much for all yalls help. Raising geese has definitely been a trial and error process. Hoping to get some more here soon
Don't blame yourself hun. You tried, and in the end that's what matters. I'm so sorry for your loss
hit.gif
hugs.gif
But, based on your posts, that she'd still peep when you came near, I believe she knew she was loved, and that's important. Great big hugs to you dear. <3

Last edited:

I am so sorry, she must have had an internal injury that can't be seen. You did your best it just sometimes isn't enough they hide illness so well.
hugs.gif

Hello there all. I'm pretty sure that my gosling is a Buff Saddleback Pom. I picked him because he was funny colored (pretty much how I pick everything) I'll be able to post a picture soon and maybe someone could help me truly nail it down?

Hello there all. I'm pretty sure that my gosling is a Buff Saddleback Pom. I picked him because he was funny colored (pretty much how I pick everything) I'll be able to post a picture soon and maybe someone could help me truly nail it down?

I saw your last post, he looks like a buff Pom! Lucky!

Back
Top Bottom