Pool filter for Duck pond

pjuhl2313

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2017
So I have a roughly 4000 gallon duck pond. I have tried using biofilters to keep it clean but it has been a hassle and difficult to maintain with five ducks. I recently purchased a 2600 GPH Intex Sand Filter that I wanted to use for the pond. Does anyone have any knowledge about using a sand filter. I have done some google searching and it was recommended to use the biofilter balls instead of sand. Any suggestions would be super helpful!!!

I have a ~2000 gal pond with 6 ducks, lots of frogs and a few hundred minnows lol. I've had a lot of success using a biofilter of river stones and mechanical filter that includes a filter cartridge and UV light clarifier. I also use beneficial bacteria with barley extract. I never drain the pond. I do get some algae growth on the rocks but the ducks and fish eat it so I let it stay...

IMG_8776[1].JPG

IMG_4155[1].jpg
(

I have a ~2000 gal pond with 6 ducks, lots of frogs and a few hundred minnows lol. I've had a lot of success using a biofilter of river stones and mechanical filter that includes a filter cartridge and UV light clarifier. I also use beneficial bacteria with barley extract. I never drain the pond. I do get some algae growth on the rocks but the ducks and fish eat it so I let it stay...

View attachment 1923520
View attachment 1923524 (
I would love details on how you made your pond. I would love to make something similar for my six ducks, but have been discouraged by all the posts about how impossible it is to keep the ponds clean. My ducks would only be using theirs when free-ranging in the yard, which is only a few hours a day since I have to supervise.

@CoriM I know, I see all the posts too about how hard it is to keep it clean - but we have a well and filling pools every day just wasn't an option for us. We already had one well go dry - and I can't afford to dig another one :D. Last year I didn't have to fill our pond at all - but this summer has been really dry so I've had to add water to it a few times - still better than filling pools for us everyday. I also do supervised swims like you - it's like Duck TV for us :pop. I seriously think the best thing to add is the UV clarifier - I didn't have it at first and the water was green - but with the clarifier, it's just so clean and clear. You can buy full pond kits on Amazon - but there is also a place online called The Pond Guy - if you tell them the size you want, they'll tell you which liner and filters to buy/use. We got most of our big rocks for free in the woods or from around our house - the river stones are from a garden center that they sell by scoop. My husband wanted the limestone - but honestly I would have just preferred the grass go right up to the pond - easier on cute little duck feet.

If you build a pond you have to share pics!!! :D

We bought property a year ago there is a pond with an island only the pond had a green duck weed problem. You tube is my friend and I learned how to clean the large pond that hadn’t been taken care of for over 30 years.
We got a trash pump and ran the water through silk fence removed all the duck weed and the chickens loved the duck weed. We then got a boat and hand skimmed the pond removing over 500 lbs of duck weed . Then we put fish in there tilapia catfish and brim now our pound has 18 ducks that keep it clean. Here are pictures of work in progress and the last picture is today, now it just reflections of the trees. Ponds are so perfect for watching the ducks.

Attachments

• 3DF8460F-0293-4FDA-99F0-3BC5EC41D265.jpeg
    3DF8460F-0293-4FDA-99F0-3BC5EC41D265.jpeg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 9C63EC7E-AC6F-45DC-A96D-F35FB28A0705.jpeg
    9C63EC7E-AC6F-45DC-A96D-F35FB28A0705.jpeg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 272ADECE-C366-4118-A048-EFFAFED759B4.jpeg
    272ADECE-C366-4118-A048-EFFAFED759B4.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 7694906E-4254-4EE6-A31E-5D96D6A65E9E.jpeg
    7694906E-4254-4EE6-A31E-5D96D6A65E9E.jpeg