Pool filter for Duck pond

@CrystaBub, it's amazing how enjoyable it is to watch the ducks. All summer that's what we did to relax when my husband got home from work. So did you build your pond iwth a liner then? Or was your pond already on your property?

Yes it's the best entertainment!!! :D We built our pond for our ducks LOL - they're a little spoiled. Yes we used a liner. We considered a prefab plastic but for the size we wanted, the liner was cheaper and it does freeze hard here in the winter so we thought it would hold up longer. I hear you have to replace them every 5-7 years - so we shall see....

We just dug out all the mud and crap out of our pond and made it bigger. We are going to put another liner in it. I am guessing we need to do this every year since no filter is big enough for all their poop!

We just dug out all the mud and crap out of our pond and made it bigger. We are going to put another liner in it. I am guessing we need to do this every year since no filter is big enough for all their poop!
Would love to see pictures of your set-up!

I have a ~2000 gal pond with 6 ducks, lots of frogs and a few hundred minnows lol. I've had a lot of success using a biofilter of river stones and mechanical filter that includes a filter cartridge and UV light clarifier. I also use beneficial bacteria with barley extract. I never drain the pond. I do get some algae growth on the rocks but the ducks and fish eat it so I let it stay...

View attachment 1923520
View attachment 1923524 (
Thanks for the response. What sort of mechanical filter did you use? I tried the homemade biofilters with the barley bags in the past and they got gummed up very quickly.

I have a ~2000 gal pond with 6 ducks, lots of frogs and a few hundred minnows lol. I've had a lot of success using a biofilter of river stones and mechanical filter that includes a filter cartridge and UV light clarifier. I also use beneficial bacteria with barley extract. I never drain the pond. I do get some algae growth on the rocks but the ducks and fish eat it so I let it stay...

View attachment 1923520
View attachment 1923524 (
How do the minnows and frogs do? We are excavating now but won't be up and running until spring. Was wondering what could share the space with our 4 Muscovy. Our pond will be about 12ft by 20ft, by 3ft deep.

Thanks for the response. What sort of mechanical filter did you use? I tried the homemade biofilters with the barley bags in the past and they got gummed up very quickly.

I use this but your pond is bigger so you might need 2 lol.

Pond Pump & Filtration System Includes Mechanical, Biological Filters, 9 Watt UV Clarifier, Plus Fountain Nozzle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CPL57KO/?tag=backy-20

How do the minnows and frogs do? We are excavating now but won't be up and running until spring. Was wondering what could share the space with our 4 Muscovy. Our pond will be about 12ft by 20ft, by 3ft deep.

They all do fine together. I only bought 20 minnows originally and they’ve multiplied like crazy. The ducks chase them but rarely catch one. The frogs just showed up - mostly bullfrogs. They do fine once they get big but my ducks have had many baby frog meals - so hard to watch them gulp them down!

58965345621__8A632B6C-A3CE-4337-B55C-2B2C43574A38.JPG
IMG_2304.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
This is the old one. Not sure how to keep it clean as the water from the house French drain runs down the muddy hill into this. The new one is 10x10x4. I'll get a pic of it later for ya.
58965345621__8A632B6C-A3CE-4337-B55C-2B2C43574A38.JPG
IMG_2304.jpg

This ditch runs down the hill

Attachments

• 6D3DFC6D-88E3-4B89-9736-55C05DDF8243.jpeg
    6D3DFC6D-88E3-4B89-9736-55C05DDF8243.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 67ED332F-9B7C-4FA5-9A87-3FE03FC9EE23.jpeg
    67ED332F-9B7C-4FA5-9A87-3FE03FC9EE23.jpeg
    373.5 KB · Views: 4
I can attest that bio filters do work for ducks, but you have to go big and a generously sized UV light is key. I have 2,000 gallons, 4 geese, 20 odd call ducks, and crystal clear water. It's adjacent to my patio so i need it to be pleasant. Clearing leaves from the pump is the only maintenance.

9,000gph pump
55 watt UV
100 gallon up flow skippy style bio filter full of nothing but lava rock.
Plus an old Intek pool venturi in the filter.

I think a sand filter could work but if you have to use a pool pump above ground it's going to be very loud. All I hear is waterfall.
20190927_125619.jpg
20190815_161328.jpg

I can attest that bio filters do work for ducks, but you have to go big and a generously sized UV light is key. I have 2,000 gallons, 4 geese, 20 odd call ducks, and crystal clear water. It's adjacent to my patio so i need it to be pleasant. Clearing leaves from the pump is the only maintenance.

9,000gph pump
55 watt UV
100 gallon up flow skippy style bio filter full of nothing but lava rock.
Plus an old Intek pool venturi in the filter.

I think a sand filter could work but if you have to use a pool pump above ground it's going to be very loud. All I hear is waterfall. View attachment 1925231 View attachment 1925235
So, the water goes in the water trough at the bottom and then filters up through 100 gallons worth of lava rock and pours over the edge of the tub back into the pond (I know through the pretty waterfall feature, but essentially) correct?

Back
Top Bottom