Pool pump DIY Filter

SoonersDucks

Chirping
Jun 26, 2019
Enid, Oklahoma
I currently only have a small kiddy pool as a pond for my ducks. It is to small for all of them, and I want to get something both bigger and deeper.

I plan on using a 5-6ft stock tank that is 2 ft deep or so. I was wanting to put a filter on it, but am worried about the pump clogging. I was thinking of using an above ground pool pump for this. Anyone try this yet? I also want to bury the tank at least 3/4 of the way to make it easier to access for the ducks. Can you place the pool pump above water level?

I currently only have a small kiddy pool as a pond for my ducks. It is to small for all of them, and I want to get something both bigger and deeper.

I plan on using a 5-6ft stock tank that is 2 ft deep or so. I was wanting to put a filter on it, but am worried about the pump clogging. I was thinking of using an above ground pool pump for this. Anyone try this yet? I also want to bury the tank at least 3/4 of the way to make it easier to access for the ducks. Can you place the pool pump above water level?
You can make a nice filter using a food grade 55 gallon drum ..
Research and buy a Dirty water pump..
Try to get one that can be used outside of the pool/pond
Its going to cost a little more but last much longer

You're going to have to figure out a way (and there are many) to keep the pump 'relatively' free of debris. You can sit it up on a big flat rock in the bottom of the tank to keep it from sucking dirt. You absolutely can fashion some kind of cage (filter) to go around it, or sit over it, so that the biggest stuff gets kept out of the pump itself. You can put holes in the sides of a 5 gallon bucket and set this on a rock in the bottom of the tank-with the pump inside of it. Cover the bucket with screen or a grid or stretched out fabric or something so that (mostly) only water gets inside the bucket to the pump. Do a search on DIY garden water features and see what they do to keep the pumps clear. Good luck.

Not sure how it well it will work for something like this. But for our pool it’s one of those index ones. Instead of those tiny filters I use a Hawaiian Punch jug with craft filler (fiber filler). Put holes in the bottom of the jug, stuff it will the filler, connect the hose that is coming out of your pump, (I use duck tape.). And put the jug into the water. Works great. It keeps our pool water sparkling clean. Pic below.. one pic showing holeswich is the third one I have used hard to see how dirty it is, the one in the pool is #4. The first two were real bad...

Attachments

• D3F1A66E-8ABF-4136-8CAE-8D4071498E4B.jpeg
    D3F1A66E-8ABF-4136-8CAE-8D4071498E4B.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 23
  • 85692739-BFA5-4EA9-9027-A3080F8AC4F1.jpeg
    85692739-BFA5-4EA9-9027-A3080F8AC4F1.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 23
Not sure how it well it will work for something like this. But for our pool it’s one of those index ones. Instead of those tiny filters I use a Hawaiian Punch jug with craft filler (fiber filler). Put holes in the bottom of the jug, stuff it will the filler, connect the hose that is coming out of your pump, (I use duck tape.). And put the jug into the water. Works great. It keeps our pool water sparkling clean. Pic below.. one pic showing holeswich is the third one I have used hard to see how dirty it is, the one in the pool is #4. The first two were real bad...
The problem isn’t the filter really, but the pump. Most above ground pool pumps have a filter cartridge that goes in them. I would probably just remove it. The issue is duck waste and debris clogging the pump. I may have to use a pre filter, kinda like you made. If that gets clogged, it would burn out the pump.

The real question is will the pump work if it is sitting above or at water level. I want to get a 2ft deep stock tank and bury it about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into the ground to allow for easier access...

What is craft filler? This stuff? https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=cus&q=fiber+craft+filler

Back
Top Bottom