Pool pump DIY Filter

I'd use a sealed container because as the filter clogs it can overflow. If you can't use a sealed container, the output must be above water line, and your input must be smaller than your output, or have a ball valve inline to restrict the flow.
Ok I have to size the input smaller so it doesn't over flow?

Last edited:
Ok I have to size the input smaller so it doesn't over flow?

Yes, if the filter is not sealed aka gravity feed. It ensures that more water can get out than can get in. Because water coming in through a pipe under pressure will have a greater flow than the same size pipe draining by gravity. If the filter is sealed aka pressurized it doesn't matter, and you can keep them the same if you want. My koi filter is a pressurized 55 gallon barrel. I built it

I currently only have a small kiddy pool as a pond for my ducks. It is to small for all of them, and I want to get something both bigger and deeper.

I plan on using a 5-6ft stock tank that is 2 ft deep or so. I was wanting to put a filter on it, but am worried about the pump clogging. I was thinking of using an above ground pool pump for this. Anyone try this yet? I also want to bury the tank at least 3/4 of the way to make it easier to access for the ducks. Can you place the pool pump above water level?

We just did a bio filter because our pond pump was clogging so badly. So far, so good! I can send you instructions if you want.

Please note that our bio filter is still open on the top. We need to add in the mesh overlay and some plants to finish it.

Attachments

• B6A886EE-5AE4-42BA-BD9C-9EAD8862348A.jpeg
    B6A886EE-5AE4-42BA-BD9C-9EAD8862348A.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 4
You can also put pea gravel in the bottom of whatever you use, this will allow duck poop to drop down into the gravel and give more surface area for bacteria to live on to eat the poop.

P.S.. As for a pool that can be as simple as cinder blocks stacked up in a circle, square whatever shape 1, 2 or 3 high and put an over sized piece of heavy duty plastic over the cinder blocks and down to the ground to form a cheap simple pond.

Last edited:
I pretty much have the filter designed, this issue is this pump situation. My father in-law gave me an above ground pool pump that was only used for a short period of time. I need to figure out if I can get it to work for what I need... testing to come soon....

Back
Top Bottom