Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

I haven't been able to go through all 108 pages, but was wondering; has anyone had any respiratory issues with the PDZ? It sounds fabulous! LOL We are getting our chicks tomorrow, so we have some time before we will need poop boards.

I actually meant in the chickens. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I heard sand and some shavings caused respiratory issues in chickens so I was wondering if this would as well.
If you have respiratory issues, wearing a mask while 'scooping the poop' might be a good idea.

That is the only time it is really dusty, when you are messing with it.

Thanks for the encouragement. It worked - I locked them in and figured they would go upstairs. When I checked them they were up on the roosting bar with lots of bird prints all around the floor - funny really. It was so easy to clean the poop this morning - like a kitty litter box! Piece of cake. I think the WHITE color is what threw them. Like the shredded paper maybe?

I like using the metal kitty litter scoopers best - easier to scrape to the bottom of the coop. Although I think a regular horse grain scooper and a kitchen colander would be easy and more thorough/efficient. I might even get my 10 year old to do it for me - like sifting sand at the beach. I love that we don't need to replace the PDZ like shavings, rice hulls etc.

I am very close to switching my brooder to PDZ. Just need to do a bit more research on their site.

Thanks for the encouragement. It worked - I locked them in and figured they would go upstairs. When I checked them they were up on the roosting bar with lots of bird prints all around the floor - funny really. It was so easy to clean the poop this morning - like a kitty litter box! Piece of cake. I think the WHITE color is what threw them. Like the shredded paper maybe? 

I like using the metal kitty litter scoopers best  - easier to scrape to the bottom of the coop. Although I think a regular horse grain scooper and a kitchen colander would be easy and more thorough/efficient. I might even get my 10 year old to do it for me - like sifting sand at the beach. I love that we don't need to replace the PDZ like shavings, rice hulls etc. 

I am very close to switching my brooder to PDZ. Just need to do a bit more research on their site.

I am so glad it all worked out!

First, I have no experience, other than all the reading...I really tried to pay attention through this whole thread. It was tough to reach the end without just jumping to my questions though. We're getting chicks soon, and we want to be properly prepared without spending a lot of extra money on experimenting or waste. So:

1) Could saw dust be mixed with PDZ to minimize the cost? I'm aware that dust control is a big issue, but I didn't know if mixing it with PDZ would possibly minimize its ability to release into the air easily. Also, if it's just on the poop board, will they be stirring it up that much? I ask because the saw dust is readily available to me and it would be easier to store up for the winter months than sand as an alternative.

2) Just an idea (backed with zero experience ;) - Would one be able to sift/scrape across the whole board with something like a rectangular piece of hardware cloth (or the clever use of a mesh file tray that I read about somewhere here)? Would this scraping motion be easier than the scooping to quickly and thoroughly clean/sift the whole board?

3) Similar to Kimmerjo (p 103?), I had been thinking about sifting methods. Another (zero experience) question I had was for those with the boot trays and such, or those with the small coops. Would you be able to use a tote, bucket, or the like with a sifting screen and just dump the trays? Would this be easier than scooping?

Thank you all for the ideas, camaraderie, and PATIENCE with rookies like myself. Very helpful and kind people you are.

To the SPOILED CHICKEN (Trish); Great coop, great idea. Congratulations on your ability to advance chicken wrangling.

Update on my poop-board: LOVE SAND!!!! I got my chickens last Sept. And I covered the floor with about 2" cleaned it with my "siv bucket" idea about 3x this winter. No smells I didn't use any pdz . About 3 weeks ago we finally had a nice day so I cleaned the entire coop. My floor was completely dry! I put pine shavings in temporarily....hate them!!!! As soon as I can get dry sand it's going back in the coop:)

Back
Top Bottom