Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

I'm going to use sand in the run & deep litter with pine shavings in coop. If deep litter doesn't work as well as described, I will try sand in the coop

My run was initially grass when it was first built. Sadly, as you know by now, it doesn't last long. After it became just dirt, I added sand to the top, just a couple of inches. I did it to help control the mud, and just keep it neater and easier to rake/clean out. I sprinkle food grade diatomaceous earth (stall dry) over that to help control mites (I also sprinkle that over the pine shavings in the coop to also help control mites.) It doesn't really control odor, so I usually throw a few handfuls of Sweet PDZ over all of it too on occasion to "freshen" things up. :)

Nono- that was the same thing we had to do. Our dirt is mostly clay and with all the rain we had it just was smelling awful. As soon as we raked it all out and put sand in ( about 4 inches deep) it got so much better and is easier to rake out.

Can i just ask, for those who use sand , how long does it last you (and how many hens you have using it!)
I think its a really good idea! :)

I'm a sand fan! I just started keeping chickens this summer so I can't talk about how long but I can sure talk about how easy my set up is to keep. I can tell you that with sweet PDZ and some DE added I have very little work to do. Takes me 30 minutes to scoop like a little litter box. The poop board has small layer of sand. It stays clean! I scoop every other day. No odor because I used PDZ it it too. I just have a 4x8 run enclosure with upper level roost. I went with sand based on what I've read on the BYC and I have not been disappointed. My flock can't free range for several reasons so I have to toss things in to give them foraging activities. When things look wilted I scoop it out so no rotting veggies in the pen. I'll soon be making them a cattle panel whoop run to get them out on the grass when I am off. The sand is damp now because of rain showers so I'm going to put in a pan of sand for dust bathing. It will go into a walled corner where it should stay dry.

I'm all for experimenting... I have used a combo of things, and really want something I can compost. I found this combo worked great! I actually only cleaned out the coop once all summer (started to several times but stopped because I realized things weren't dirty yet!).
Bottom layer... Linoleum, then Layer of wood shavings, then a bale of straw. Shake out the straw so it's deep, then add a few more shovels of wood shavings. What seemed to happen is the poop was easily dried out as the bedding had great air circulation due to the straw. This coop is well ventilated, very dry, and I'm careful to not spill water, etc.
it's not exactly deep litter method, because I'm not composting in place, but it's worked great for me for 2 years.

ookin gooood" url="/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures/960#post_11872759"]Can i just ask, for those who use sand , how long does it last you (and how many hens you have using it!)
I think its a really good idea! :) 
[/quote]
I Just Started Using Sand And PDZ. I'm Sold!! I Haven't Had To Clean Like Crazy, AS MWith The Shavings. Also, The Smell, Is Not There Anymore!! The Chickens Love It Too. I Have 32-7 Well Old Pullets In My Coop. So, This Is Huge!! Good Luck

I finally got around to figuring out the poop board thing..... Built it last night and put it in the coop. Was really easy to clean up this morning with a kitty litter scoop. The board has play sand on it. The board can come out the door where the picture was taken from.

Back
Top Bottom