Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
When the material gets thin, as it is right now, I'll put this on my to do list, I drag the bag of sand out to the coop, and distribute it on the poop boards. Then I bring out sweet pdz in a bucket and sprinkle it around. Then I mix it with my cat box scooper. It might be 80% sand? There is nothing scientific in my method, and it works great.

Someone mentioned using Kitty litter, but I believe that had been discussed to be a bad idea. I don't know what magic chemicals are in that stuff but am pretty sure I don't want my flock snacking on them.

ANy thoughts on using contact paper to protect the wood under the poop areas? I have kiltz the bottom but was thinking some poop is a little runny than others. ANy thoughts, The kind you used to cover your books with?

I bought a box of cheap, self-adhesive tiles (1'x1') from Lowe's - 30 of them for $10. Not only did I have enough to line the poop board with, I had enough to line the bottoms of the nesting boxes, etc. to where every floor surface is now covered in something that will be easy to clean when the bedding gets switched out.

I've been sifting their "litter" every morning when they go outside; takes me 5 minutes max to handle the poo from 32 chickens and it goes directly into the compost heap next to the coop.

When the material gets thin, as it is right now, I'll put this on my to do list, I drag the bag of sand out to the coop, and distribute it on the poop boards. Then I bring out sweet pdz in a bucket and sprinkle it around. Then I mix it with my cat box scooper. It might be 80% sand? There is nothing scientific in my method, and it works great.

Someone mentioned using Kitty litter, but I believe that had been discussed to be a bad idea. I don't know what magic chemicals are in that stuff but am pretty sure I don't want my flock snacking on them.

Scoopable cat litter has (on average):
Sodium bentonite, an expanding cement-like product that aids in clumping, but ingested it swells to 15-18 times its size;
Quartz silica, a known carcinogen to both humans and animals when inhaled
"Deodorizing crystals" of various chemical combinations, known to cause UTI/Kidney failure in animals
(Also, the dust from these products has been shown repetitively in studies to be a cause of respiratory problems to both humans and animals)

I worked as a vet tech for a while and I've seen a few cats with serious problems from use of scoopable "clay-like" cat litters...one barely made it after two GI surgeries, and two died from digestive complications we had no way of correcting. Cats and birds both are "groomer" animals - cats lick themselves and birds preen. When they ingest the sodium bentonite, it expands in their crops/stomachs/digestive tracts and causes problems from blockages and impactions to complete shutdown in some cases. The stuff is used as cement filler for a reason (and yet, they put it in cat litter!).

As for the respiratory/kidney issues - I had a cat when I was first out on my own and I bought cheap scoopable litter because that's what I could afford, and my cat developed asthma from it. By taking my cat into the vet several times a year for treatments such as steroid shots and pills to keep him from going into respiratory arrest, I learned about these products from the vet that later hired me after he had to euthanize my cat, in my arms, for severe kidney failure. He was only 5 years old. Our best guess was the litter that caused this - he ate/drank well, didn't go outside, wasn't around other animals, and I never used mouse or rat poison in my life.

Please don't use these products. Most manufacturers of scoopable cat litter no longer list their ingredients on the box due to the scare with "deodorizing crystals" causing urinary tract infections and kidney failure in cats using it that happened several years back. Since then, many don't list the ingredients in their litter because they don't want to scare potential buyers away. I don't even use it for my own indoor cat...we buy the Natural Pine pelleted litter which works better for absorption and odor control, and is actually cheaper for a larger amount. While it can't be scooped, it doesn't have to be completely changed out as often due to the high absorption of the pellets, and you can scoop out the hardened poop and flush it easily every day to keep odor to nil. We don't compost it, because of the risk of toxoplasma bacteria (even healthy, unassuming cats carry this bacteria) which is known for all sorts of issues.

I wanted to add what little knowledge I have of these products here so that people following this thread will know the main ingredients that are of concern in scoopable cat litters, and not use it for their chickens. The best and safest products out there for our birds are the Sweet PDZ and untreated sand of a decent grit size.

I had wondered about kitty litter - I don't actually use it. I'm glad someone responded in answer to my question about it! If it's bad for them, I sure won't be using it at anytime! Thanks!!
frow.gif

We live too close to the road - even though it's a dead-end in the country - to keep cats. Have tried and I love them, but they always get hit. Can't keep them in the house. So we keep a wire one close by! Wish we could borrow your tom - does he catch moles??!! He would have a FEAST in our yard on them!

I looked at pictures of your coop - very nice. You have lucky chickens!
Mine is here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6444879/the-chicken-coop# , but not fancy and all things amateur for sure! But it's home! LOL.

Yes, my tomcat even brings us moles as presents. We've not had many, but we ARE overrun with crayfish in this valley. A couple of weeks ago, we had a lot of rain and flooding down here. The crayfish were coming up so fast that to watch my tom pounce after the piles of mud moving was absolutely hilarious. He had so many he couldn't keep up with them! The chickens attacked and snacked on the few that were unlucky enough to come up inside their pasture.

The road we live on is one of the busiest in our county, as it connects the town we're closer to, to another one nearby in another county that is larger. My tom knows first-hand that life in the fields is far better than anything on the other side of the road - it's all wooded and uphill, into ridges/knobs. He rarely goes near the road.

Thanks for the compliment on my coop! :) Yours is very rustic, functional, and I like it! Getting them to stop roosting on the nesting box tops will probably require some linoleum...if they can't grip onto it, they'll give up and go to the roost. Great work in a hurry! I've seen some HORRID coops in my area that are far too small for 50 birds, or are full of holes and gaps to where there isn't really any protection in the winter months from drafts, or even predators for that matter. You've got your bases covered.

Thanks! I would like to paint it red w/ white trim, but that won't happen very soon. $$$$.
hmm.png
I'm sure the chickens don't mind, though! I was concerned that it might not be big enough for the 16 critters, especially come winter and rains when they go inside. But maybe by then we'll be able to build a lean-to.
smile.png
We've coyotes, red and gray fox, the usual array of neighbor's dogs, hawks, skunks (I don't think they'll eat live chickens??!!), possums, you name it, it's around. We're on the front side of the wood. Our fence doesn't go into the ground but we've boards at the bottom and so far nothing is digging. Have to do something different if we have problems. Thanks for looking at my pictures!

Here's what we did today:

And yes, I left them a note in the PDZ:

They were already running up the ramp to check out the new area when I put them in for the night! Thanks again for the awesome idea!!!
thumbsup.gif

What are the measurements of your poo board? The measurements of your roost bars and the distance between them. We are starting our coop tonight so that would be great info to have. Plus how many birds do you have?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom