Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics

Thespoiledchicken

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Long Island
Ok, so my first coop was done without poop boards-I simply loaded up the floor with sand figuring that would be easy enough to sift the poop out of. Well, the plan sounded good in theory but I found it didn't work so good in reality. Don't get me wrong, the poop scoops out of the sand BUT- the sand SMELLS even after the poop is gone. Also, it is a dusty mess while scooping and I need to take frequent breaks just to breath fresh air. Still better though than changing out shavings weekly (I don't like DLM).

So when we built our 2nd coop we decided to try poop boards
love.gif
WOW, what a difference. We built a waist high shelf and then added a lip all around and filled it with Sweet PDZ, LOVE IT!!!! I simply sift the poop up every day or two but you certainly can leave it longer if you had to. The Sweet PDZ keeps it from smelling at all. And the best part- NO DUST when scooping. It's almost like sifting flour. It is very zen like to clean and I tend to get carried away and make designs for my girls ( I know, I have issues
tongue2.gif
)

Anyway, thought I would share my experience and of course some pics
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Looks so good. Hmmmm. Might need to rethink my coop too. I don't like DLM either and end up doing a clean out every two weeks. I've got a mountain of used bedding now.
I didn't like the idea of a bare poop board (smelly messy yuck) but with the lip and PDZ .... I'm all for that! Thanks for sharing a great solution.

Thanks guys
big_smile.png

Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher- it absorbs moisture and smell. I forget exactly what it is made of but it is completely safe for chickens- I think it is made from a mineral maybe? Works GREAT for chicken poop. When my girls are getting on the perches at night they kick a little on to the floor and freshen up the shavings too.

Here is the outside of the coop (can't take credit for the design, it is a Amish kit we brought)

Is what you do to clean up the area similar to sifting cat poop out of a litter box? Just scoop, shake, toss? Seems so low maintenance and lovely!

YES! I made the shelf at waist height so no bending to clean. I simply scoop, shake and throw it away. The PDZ absorbs the odor so it does not smell, even after several days! I try to do it every 2-3 days max so I keep the moisture down in the coop since I have alot of chickens
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom