Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
We started using the PDZ on our poop board after reading this thread a while ago. I just did the major spring coop cleanout the other day and put PDZ mixed with the shavings on the floor as well as on the board. I like to keep some shavings on the poop board because I have one blind chicken who likes to sleep on the wider board and has difficulty making if to the roost. We have our nest boxes about 8 inches off the floor and the poop board is the top of the nest boxes. We have it covered in some vinyl flooring so it is easier to wash off if needed, but seems to stay pretty clean. It's a little stoop to reach into the nest boxes, but not really an issue.
:)

Excellent idea! And thanks for the "graphic" pictures, it's so much easier to grasp the concept when you can see it! I'm just getting to designing and building the interior features of my coop, and will definitely incorporate this concept. I'd never heard of Sweet PDZ; I googled it and went to their website to read about the uses. This is super stuff! I'm having my son-in-law pick some up for me at the feed store along with more chick feed and a bag of dog food.

woot.gif

Thanks to everyone for posting your positive experiences!

Keep posting- maybe we can get others on "board"...Ok- I admit that was lame, lol
lau.gif

My new coop is in the framing stage and I just called my DH to tell him this is what we are doing! It's 8 x 12, and the front 4 ft will be storage of food and now PDZ! I cleaned the coop (deep litter) this week and ugh! Our roosts were afterthoughts and it's hard to get around them with the shovel. And the smell was icky. I love the brooder cage under the roosts and will be incorporating that as well. I plan to have a divider wall in the middle since I also raise meaties in the late spring. Their perch has to be lower, so there will be a box around it to contain the PDZ. 25 meaties makes such a big mess in such a small area. This will make it so much nicer. Just have to get the building underway. The framing has been done since November!

I add my thanks for posting this awesomeness. My chickens and I will be very much happier.

Casie, could you please post a picture and maybe some measurements of how you did your double roost bar and your poop board? I am laying out my coop before we start building and I am planning on doing the PDZ under the roost. I like the idea of doing a double roost just to make sure we have enough space. I know another member, Caity, is in the same boat with planning right now.

Here's a picture of my roost set up. I don't have the measurements at the moment. I do remember the droppings board was 31" wide and the roosts are 10" above that. We used 1 x 4's to make the tray and ripped a 2 x 4 in half to make the roosts. I'm guessing the roosts are about 10" apart and roughly centered over the tray. I hope that helps!

Last edited:
wahoo! i took some SERIOUS notes from this thread. DH isn't going to know what hit him come building time "start brain storming" he said, "have a plan" "gesturing with your hands does not equal a blueprint..." last laugh will be mine ;)

thank you for your great ideas everyone.

wahoo! i took some SERIOUS notes from this thread. DH isn't going to know what hit him come building time "start brain storming" he said, "have a plan" "gesturing with your hands does not equal a blueprint..." last laugh will be mine ;)

thank you for your great ideas everyone.
yuckyuck.gif
Oh this made me laugh so hard. Any time I start gestuting when we're discussing plans I get the evil-glare-of-death from my husband. He'll probably kill me if we get to Lowes only to find out that we need a board "This high" *holding hand out mid chest* :)

Back
Top Bottom