Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Pics
Thank you for starting this thread!
Rural King is another local store for me. They had Sweet PDZ, 25lb $8.99, its the granular.
Will check Orschleins and the others this week.
Time to build the boxes
big_smile.png

The top picture shows the left side depooped and the right side ready to depoop. I probably only have 1/2 inch of my 1/3 PDZ, 1/3 DE and 1/3 sand mix on the board. I have hardly lost any depth since I started using it. The second picture (sorry it s blurred) is after I picked up the poopy mix and am ready to shake it (gently). The poop stays in the sifter with a thin coating of the mix covering it. I then use the brush to level the remaining mix on the poop board. The sifter came with a smaller version at the dollar store for $1.50.
I will be hatching chicks again soon and am thinking of using this mix in my broody coop as it will keep the shavings out of my waterer. I will probably make it deeper so the chicks have a stable surface to walk on 3/4" instead of 1/2". I can get it here (PDZ) at Blue Seal, Agway, TSC. If you live in an area with horse people you should be able to get it in some variation. It is basically Zeolite a natural mineral. I have also used zeolite in my fish pond to remove ammonia...it comes in big chunks for ponds (about walnut size). Here is another discussion post on this subject google Sweet PDZ versus DRYSTALL? for odor it will bring you to the other post on BYC. Good luck PDZ is well worth a trip.

Fabulous. This is just the info I've been looking for. And pics. And was wondering about Drystall, too, so thanks for the link. I now HAVE to do the drive to Grand Forks (TSC) to pick up my neice up at the border so this works out great and I will just get a couple or 3 extra bags of PDZ. (Meanwhile I have the PDZ company working on L&M Fleet in Bemidji to stock PDZ. We'll see how that goes.) PDZ CO....very nice and helpful.

I know at some point (was it this thread?) someone posted pics of how they made a 'chicken jail" underneath their poop board. I've got three young chicks that I'd like to move out into my coop, but obviously I need to keep them separated from my lonely adult hen. I wanted to make a sort of brooder box under the poop board - so I've been searching BYC for the pics on and off all morning of that person's under-poop-board-chicken-jail and I can't find them :(

Anyone seen these pics and can point me in the right direction?

My BO died last night so I only have one grown chicken now, who I know will be incredibly lonely. The sooner I can get the new chicks out of the plastic brooder box in my house and into the coop, the better she'll be. But they're young so I know I have to keep them separate from her so I need to figure out how to turn the poop board into the top of a brooder box.

I'm off to Home Depot in a few to buy some 1x2's to frame it out, but I know my DH would do much better if I could show him photos. Thanks!

I know at some point (was it this thread?) someone posted pics of how they made a 'chicken jail" underneath their poop board. I've got three young chicks that I'd like to move out into my coop, but obviously I need to keep them separated from my lonely adult hen. I wanted to make a sort of brooder box under the poop board - so I've been searching BYC for the pics on and off all morning of that person's under-poop-board-chicken-jail and I can't find them :(

Anyone seen these pics and can point me in the right direction?
Post #146. Hope this is what you are looking for. Sorry about your BO! Lost a Buff Cochin yeaterday to a coyote - saw it run off with it! :(

Post #146. Hope this is what you are looking for. Sorry about your BO! Lost a Buff Cochin yeaterday to a coyote - saw it run off with it! :(

wee.gif

YES!!!!!!!!!! That's the picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's printed out for the hubby to see now. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And so sorry to hear about your Buff Cochin. That is so sad :( I had a bobcat eat my big fat white Pekin duck named Big Jack a few years ago. I heard it attack him and my hubby went in the woods and found a big pile of white feathers. Was so sad :( Guess it's part of having animals that are considered prey by most things with teeth.
sad.png

Last edited:
Hey Trish...I was wondering how well Silkies would do using the Poop Board at that height. As it is only one of my Silkie chicks actually gets onto the roost in their existing coop. How would I encourage them to use the roosts rather than just laying on the ground in the pine shavings in our the new coop we're making them??? Thanx for the Wonderful ideas... I've got a whole folder of Roost and Coop ideas for our Shed turned Chicken Shack Make Over!!
!

I use zeolite straight up and a kitty litter scoop. I have an almost eight foot x 32 in. board and dumped in a 50 # bag and that was the first of June and have added just 10 more pounds maybe. Didn't need to add any except I wanted a thicker layer for easier scooping. There is no odor no problems.... nothing to compain about. I love it.

And thank-you, erlibrd, for giving your box dimensions. They are exactly the size of our roost area and will be the size of box I am HOPING that DH will soon build. Got the PDZ in Grand Forks. ND, but haven't used it yet. It won't be long now before we close the coop windows at night against the cold (can you believe that?) Then I'll use the PDZ whether the box is ready or not.
sickbyc.gif

I'd also like to have a brooder box below it The poop box is a great space economizer. And a time economizer. So grateful for this thread.

That is a kitty litter box
lol.png
I have several girls that will only lay in the kitty litter box, they prefer it over my more expensive
he.gif
nest boxes. Sometimes I come home to find that was the only box used for the day. I think the other boxes only get used because that one was "occupied". I will probably add another one in the future seeing as they love it so much. I got it on Amazon and it comes in several fun colors. I think they love the "roundness" as they love to turn around in circles and cover themselves in hay while laying in there.

I originally got it because I needed an outside nest box that could handle the weather. Worked great. VERY easy to clean and collect eggs from since the top just lifts right off.

Trish

Ha ha ha thats what i use our cat goes outside.. and we were using a milk crate but with the younger ones they were starting to jump into it and bust my eggs so i decided to use the kitty litter box.. i think im gonna get a couple more although i would rather they lay in boxes a little higher but this works

Back
Top Bottom