Poop Pictures- Intestinal Lining or Coccidiosis?

StrawberryMoon

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
Indiana, USA
I have 23 chicks, 14 days old. Today I found this stool in the brooder. Is this something to worry about? Does it look like a shed intestinal lining or should I be concerned about a Coccidiosis infection? All chicks were cheerful and energetic this morning and scarfing down food and water like always. However, I'm a very nervous chick "mama" and I'm completely in love with these chicks so I don't want to miss any early warning signs. After calling a dozen veterinarians who each refused to perform a fecal float without seeing the chick for an exam, I decided to post a pic here. I thought I saw one other stool like this in the brooder, but then I couldn't find it again when I looked a second time. The vast majority of droppings were totally normal.

Background: I have had them indoors on clean pine shavings in a very large enclosure (4'x8'). I'm using nipple waterers that are kept far away from their (unmedicated) feed and two eco glow thermal plates. No heat lamp. Yesterday I introduced a dandelion dug up from my yard with the root attached and some dirt on it, and offered chick grit for the first time. Health has been excellent so far and they've been exceeding their milestones for growth, feathers, etc. They are straight run Salmon Faverolles.

Attachments

• IMG_20170522_101832.jpg
    IMG_20170522_101832.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 263
Update:. All the chicks continue to act and look healthy. I haven't found any other abnormal droppings. I changed all their bedding last night and added a little apple cider vinegar to their water for a health boost. I think I'll wait a couple days before introducing another garden plant. Thanks very much for the advice! Seems like you guys were spot-on, and there's nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom