Poop stuck to 1 week old chicks- What do I do???

Firstly, stop feeding the chick anything but chick starter. Yogurt and other things are going to simply kill it. None of that is helping and probably making it worse. Get rid of the grit and feed them ALL nothing but the chick starter. For the pasted on stuff you are going to have to soak it with warm water. It's not going to come off fast. You need to be patient. It might take a half hour or more to soften it all. Hold the chick and keep the area under a stream of warm water. Rub the surface gently as it softens until it is all gone. Do not put anything on the area even if it looks sore. You are compounding the issue by putting stuff on there that just attracts more debris. Dry the chick after so it does not get chilled and put it back with the others. They should be on clean shavings. Feed them the chick starter and nothing else. No treats .. nothing. I would also get rid of the water additives. The chick starter has everything that they need in it. If the chick has an exceptionally fuzzy butt, then trim some of the fluff away from under the vent. Check them every day to see if the problem is re occurring and wash again if needed. Once they get back on track with a proper diet the problem should resolve.

But when they're raised by a hen, they're out foraging two days after they hatch. Thanks for the advice on cleaning her butt, I haven't had her in warm water for that long.

But when they're raised by a hen, they're out foraging two days after they hatch. Thanks for the advice on cleaning her butt, I haven't had her in warm water for that long.

That's exactly it right there... I'm new to this, so I'm open to be corrected, but with momma all they're going to get is grit from the ground, maybe some protein from bugs, and whatever is being fed to them by their owner in the way of feed. Typically, in a chicken's life, yogurt isn't on the menu... and in fact, all birds are lactose intolerant. In their natural lives, they never are exposed to milk products. A little bit as an adult in your kitchen scraps aren't going to hurt; but that's as an adult. This is a baby, with a delicate digestive system.

At this point, my 2-3 week chicks have only gotten chick starter, and as of yesterday, a little bit of grit and meal worms. I introduced them to grass yesterday and they're picking at it, but haven't really eaten it.

Last edited:
We had a chick with this issue. We cleaned its butt and it seemed to be fine. That was around Easter. Now it's smaller than the others and not active. What's wrong with it?

I am having this issue with my chicks currently, seems to be getting slightly better but if it persists I will give trimming their feathers around the vent a try. Currently we are dipping their little butts in warm water and gently removing, slow work but works.

I just had that problem with a chick about a week ago. I finally used a bit of baby oil to help work it loose, because it looked like it was probably feeling pretty sore. Anyway's, it worked and the chick no longer has the problem.

I am so glad for this site!! I always buy full grown chickens and this time I thought it would be fun to go with chicks. We have three with pasty butt or what ever you call it. I am thankful for the advice although I all ready ran two chick butts under a faucet of warm water. Praying because they are all so cute.

me and my wife just washed 30 plus chicks little bums. We held just their bum in warm pail of water and wiggled the hard clump of poop between fingers some came off easy some we had to work at it - longest was probably 5 min - we did no oils or other stuff and placed them back into pen in front of a small electric heater with a fan. few min after all were done they were all stretched out napping in front of heater, it kinda scared me thought they were dead quick tap of the brooding box and up jumps all of them few minutes of eats and water boom back stretched out in front of heater - job well done in my opinion!!

the umbilical cords are hard to find on some careful if you gonna trim the fur i don't think its needed

this may need to be repeated but its worth effort for no losses

chick starter for feed only there little systems can't handle anything for 4 to 8 weeks

fresh clean water daily is very important

Back
Top Bottom