Pooping in the Nest Boxes. What the heck?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AllChookUp, May 29, 2008.

1. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I've had 3 mature hens and a rooster for over a week now. They've settled down pretty well, and are producing eggs daily.

But one box tends to have poop in the nest. I don't know if it's the rooster doing it or what.

Is this normal? How do I change this behavior?

2. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I dont know, but I hope someone does, I have the same problem...

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If your nest boxes are the same height or higher than the roosts, they will sleep in them and poop them up. I found that lowering the nest box cured the problem.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

That is interesting as I have the "queens quarters", a separate "cage" above the roosts, it was to keep my roo in by night and I'd turn him loose by day, now it was for the new girl, that starting a nest in there....I can count on 3 eggs a day in the queens quarters, with poop. The nest boxes are clean and I get 2 eggs in there. Hmmm, now its got me thinking what to do next. Thanks for the article- good luck to you all.

5. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Yeah, I have the same problem in our first coop. In the second coop I made the roosts much higher than the nesting boxes and haven't had a chicken turd in a nest box yet.

6. Buddhistcowboy

Buddhistcowboy New Egg

Apr 15, 2008
    hello, I have a hen that is spending a good deal of time in the nesting box. I have not noticed poo in the box. Don't think she is sleeping in it. It is lower than the roost. Yet, about every time I visit the house she is in there warming eggs. She is in denial as there is no rooster. Does she need therapy or will this pass?

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    When my father-in-law had rows of nests, he used to place a long thin board in front in the evening halfway down the openings so the chickens couldn't get in and poop at night.
    Me--I like my chickens to be able to sleep wherever they're happiest (and warmest in winter) so I just use a kitty litter scoop to remove poops every few days and toss in some more bedding as needed.

8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by