Poopy butt

RNPAULIE69

Songster
May 27, 2017
My welsummer always seems to have poop hanging off her butt..I wash her as often as I can. No signs of anything wrong around her vent. Poop is even solid when its hanging there, nothing really loose that i can see. Anything i can do to help her? My BO who has a much fluffier butt is always clean. My speckled Sussex occasionally but for the most part clean as well. This is also the poor girl i am treating for bumblefoot ;( just want her feathers to grow back and for her to aim better!! Any advice???
20190903_181131.jpg

She may be a lazy pooper and it's getting stuck in the feathers all the time. You can try trimming the fluff to see if that helps. Keeping her cleaned up a needed would be important, especially in warm weather so flies don't lay eggs.

Have you check for lice/mites too? Consider getting a fecal float for worms as well.

This pic was after a cleaning..anyone???
I have some chickens that have butts like that and I have to always wash them! I have watched them before and it seems like the ones that have poopy butts, just walk and poop at the same time without stopping. The ones with clean butts seem to squat and poop, not walk and poop.

There's always one or two in a flock that seem to have poopy butts. I use the garden hose on the dirty bird and spray it right off. Then I release her to go about her business. Of course you dont want to do this when the weather is cool or cold.
You can trim feathers and fluff back with scissors, but not too much. Urates cause scalding on the skin resulting in bald red sore skin. Apply Nu-Stock to bald areas and the feathers will grow back, protect the skin and deter feather pickers.

She may be a lazy pooper and it's getting stuck in the feathers all the time. You can try trimming the fluff to see if that helps. Keeping her cleaned up a needed would be important, especially in warm weather so flies don't lay eggs.

Have you check for lice/mites too? Consider getting a fecal float for worms as well.
No lice or mites..will get a fecal float

It seems to me that once a poop doesn't fall right off, and a little remains there, it causes subsequent poops to adhere to it. Before long you've got a real mess.

Back
Top Bottom