Poopy butt

workindog

Songster
6 Years
Dec 11, 2015
CT
So i have 2 chickens with a dirty butt. i just thought my chickens were muddy and it was stuck. Nope, not the case, as its been a few weeks and hasnt wore off. They are behaving completely normal, gappily running all over the yard, digging, scratching, they come running when called, follows us around (hoping for treats to magical appear lol, no poofing of feathers. They all happily eat whatever treats we give. Just 2 have dirty butts.

Not sure if its coccidia, worms or gleet or lord knows? Im assuming i cant use corid and a dewormer at once, correct? So I'd treat for cocci first, then do the dewromer. I read safeguard is safe for chickens, said 1 to 2 pea sized amount for 5 days. Can i use the horse paste stuff? Thats definitely easier to find today locally.

If its gleet, i saw a video on YouTube where a man was treating his chicken and it didnt clear up, said he treated for months but had to put it down. Is gleet hard to treat or is it something that they can easily get over? I read an article on here about treating it and from what i read, it seems easily treatable.

Answers to my questions would be very helpful and truly appreciated.

Ty

It could just be stuck on droppings that need to be removed. You can pull off the dried clumps of droppings, and giving a quick warm soapy butt bath and rinse can help. A bucket works well for this, but is not necessary. Once clean, look at the vent area to make sure there are no maggots, redness, or burned skin areas. Pictures can be posted if you like. Some chickens have trouble with droppings clearing the bottom of the vent, and especially if they have occasional runny poops from drinking more water.

As far as worming goes, don’t measure by pea-sized amounts. Valbazen can be used 1/2 tsp for an average sized hen once and again in 10 days. If you use SafeGuard/Panacur horse paste, or the SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer, give 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight for 5 straight days for most all worms. That is about 1 1/2 for a 6 pound hen. Give it once and again in 10 days for roundworms only.

Vent gleet is a fungal infection which causes feather loss, redness, and a terrible odor from the vent. There may be white urates constantly draining. It is treated with antifungal medicines such as Nystatin or Medistatin, or Monistat cream.

How old are the birds? Do you have a vet that will do a fecal test for you?
You can use Safeguard horse paste, please do not do the "pea sized" dosing, that is very subjective and inaccurate, I will post a link that explains why. The correct dose for Safeguard is .23ml per pound of bird weight orally. If you don't know what parasite you may have then you dose 5 days in a row. With coccidia you will usually see more going on, the birds will be lethargic and sleeping looking, sitting fluffed up, not eating or drinking well, droppings will be runny, mucousy, or sometimes bloody. Sometimes droppings are runny because of diet, or drinking lots of water (like when it's very hot out). Some hens, especially as they get older, get what is sometimes called 'lazy cloaca' and don't push droppings out hard enough resulting in dirty butts. In some cases dirty butts can be an indication of a reproductive problem, swelling in the abdomen can make it hard for them to push droppings out. It's a good idea to clean that off or trim feathers back if it's a constant thing, It can cause irritation and can make them susceptible to fly strike which can be very serious. That's when flies lay eggs in the droppings built up there, they hatch and the maggots feed on the live bird. Vent gleet is less common, it's a yeast infection. That is usually quite nasty looking and obvious.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-horse-paste-de-wormer.1141545/#post-17748655

Back
Top Bottom