Poopy Butt

HorseyHokie

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 1, 2016
My Silkie Roo does this thing where he poops and it dribbles down into his butt feathers and creates this lovely mass of coagulated poop between his legs. None of my other chickens including 3 other Silkies have this problem. I'm definitely concerned about Fly Strike, but after multiple baths and feather trims, it's becoming apparent that this is just the way it's going to be. Every 3 to 4 weeks I'll be getting very intimately familiar with him. He doesn't have any skin irritation and he's not having any other issues except that his poop seems to be rather runny and reddish brown. I'm considering slathering his butt feathers with Vaseline to hopefully keep that area slippery and therefore easier to clean.
What do y'all think? Is that a bad idea? Any other good ideas?

Your concern for Fly Strike is spot on. It might be best to take a look at his diet in order to firm up feces. No treats, no greens including not eating grass until he gets his guts back in order. What are you currently feeding him and does he drink alot of water?

Your concern for Fly Strike is spot on. It might be best to take a look at his diet in order to firm up feces. No treats, no greens including not eating grass until he gets his guts back in order. What are you currently feeding him and does he drink alot of water?
Everyone is currently getting Producers Pride layer mini pellets. They love lettuce so I have been giving lettuce scraps and Grubblies for treats. It's the only way to get them back in the run. They don't have any access to grass only an enclosed spot under the trampoline to explore and scratch around.

Dont give your Silkie rooster lettuce scraps nor Grubblies, no more goodies. Feed him only the Producers Pride mini pellets. Give it time and his feces should firm up and get back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom