Poor behavior and how to deal...

Rupph40

Hatching
Oct 8, 2020
Hi everyone, I’ve been using this forum to get quick answers to some of my questions as I’ve started my first backyard flock. I haven’t seen this one addressed yet so I figured I’d join up and see if I can find some help.
I have six Rhode Island Red hens, one of which has taken to plucking out the others’ feathers and eating them. I separated her for a few days in a smaller coop right next to the big coop. When I put her back in with the rest she went right back to plucking. I tried a bitter spray, and that kept her off for a few minutes, but then she resorted to pinning another girl down and ripping out hackle feathers instead. Between the run and tractor, which they have access to at all times during the day, they have 65 sq ft of space, there are two feeders and two waterers accessible at all times.
I have Mean Chicken back in the small coop. Now she will peck and scratch but doesn’t seem interested in feed. She paces a lot watching the others.
I thought perhaps she had a protein deficiency, so I upped her protein slightly, she’s not plucking or eating her own feathers. What else can I do?
If it helps, they’ve only just started laying. They are 20 weeks old.

I agree that it may be a protein deficiency, but she also may be mean. She also may be a he! Are you sure she's a girl? I"d keep her separated where she can't see the flock for about a week, feeding lots of high protein snacks like mealworms. Then reintroduce.

I agree that it may be a protein deficiency, but she also may be mean. She also may be a he! Are you sure she's a girl? I"d keep her separated where she can't see the flock for about a week, feeding lots of high protein snacks like mealworms. Then reintroduce.

Hi black_cat, yes I’m sure she’s a lady, she’s laid two eggs in chicken jail😂

Hi everyone, I’ve been using this forum to get quick answers to some of my questions as I’ve started my first backyard flock. I haven’t seen this one addressed yet so I figured I’d join up and see if I can find some help.
I have six Rhode Island Red hens, one of which has taken to plucking out the others’ feathers and eating them. I separated her for a few days in a smaller coop right next to the big coop. When I put her back in with the rest she went right back to plucking. I tried a bitter spray, and that kept her off for a few minutes, but then she resorted to pinning another girl down and ripping out hackle feathers instead. Between the run and tractor, which they have access to at all times during the day, they have 65 sq ft of space, there are two feeders and two waterers accessible at all times.
I have Mean Chicken back in the small coop. Now she will peck and scratch but doesn’t seem interested in feed. She paces a lot watching the others.
I thought perhaps she had a protein deficiency, so I upped her protein slightly, she’s not plucking or eating her own feathers. What else can I do?
If it helps, they’ve only just started laying. They are 20 weeks old.
if you don't want to keep them separate you could try aprons, they won't like it, but they'll get used to it and the bully won't be able to get at the feathers. If its a deficiency, give protein and calcium supplements if you haven't already.

I had a similar issue with one of my barred rock pullets earlier this year. I did all the separating and isolating...trying to reset the pecking order. Didn’t work. I ended up getting rid of her. As soon as she was gone, all was well. Sometimes you just have to make the call and get rid of the bad apple.

:lol: That seems like a pretty definitive way to tell! Sometimes people will have problems like yours and they have a sneaky roo trying to dominate the hens, so it's good to ask.
For sure! I have read about some hens acting like roos when there isn’t one in the flock - I’m leaning hard towards the protein issue though. I’m going to try moving her so she can’t see the others and supplementing her protein to see how that works out. When the week is up should I move her back in sight for a few days before I release her back into the coop?

For sure! I have read about some hens acting like roos when there isn’t one in the flock - I’m leaning hard towards the protein issue though. I’m going to try moving her so she can’t see the others and supplementing her protein to see how that works out. When the week is up should I move her back in sight for a few days before I release her back into the coop?
I am actually going to ask @aart before giving you advice- a) does this seem like a good course of action that I've proposed and b) would you do the see but don't touch on reintegration? @aart is the chicken master!

65 sq ft is close to minimal for 6 birds. I'm guessing boredom might be an issue here. Is there any way to expand your run space any, or to give them free range time? If yes, you'll also want to consider adding some stuff for them to do (which eats up space, hence why I feel the minimum isn't enough). Examples: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/ Clutter also serves to provide hiding spaces to birds that get bullied, so it does double duty.

Between the run and tractor, which they have access to at all times during the day, they have 65 sq ft of space
How big is the "tractor", in feet by feet?
Is that where they sleep?
Pics would help here.

I'd guess a crowding issue.....or just a mean bird.

Back
Top Bottom