Poor Cash found a rattlesnake...(graphic photos)

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
Here he was last night...took him to the vet this morning....

Eye Shaved & ready

Waiting for the Valium to kick in...you can see marks that look like fangs here..

Knocked out, draining fluid. The bloody area is from the vet draining pus out. The dark circle below is necrotic tissue.

Knocked out at the vet's office. Lanced, drained & packed with antibiotics.

Back home, still really drugged up...

Poor Cash, with drool strings...

I had to lift a 95lb, drooling, bleeding, pus-filled, drugged/dead-weight dog out of the truck bed. :) I couldn't carry him into the house, so for now, he's resting on his old sleeping bag in the shade with some water. He's still really out of it. But $235 later, he's still alive. Now he's on Predisone and Cephalexin.

The vet said he'll be okay...and thankfully, he's a BIG, tough dog. A smaller dog or a cat wouldn't have been as "lucky."

Good luck with him. Don't take any chances-if the wound becomes necrotic take him back in. The location of the wound is rather close to the eye. He IS a lucky dog!

poor thing. thankfully he is alive.

Yeah...we've lived here 7 years and in that time, I've only seen 1 rattlesnake in 2010. After all of the fires, I think the ones that survived had to move to new places...and I'm outside a lot. Makes me really nervous with a 1yr old daughter...we do keep all of the brush, grass, weeds mowed down in a wide berth around the house but there are still lots of rocks, fallen trees, bushes, etc for snakes to live in/under/around.

Good luck with him. Don't take any chances-if the wound becomes necrotic take him back in. The location of the wound is rather close to the eye. He IS a lucky dog!

Yeah...we're going to keep a close eye on him (no pun intended) and he'll go back in if he needs to. He's on antibiotics and steroids. Poor, crazy dog. He wasn't moving very fast this morning but wanted me to throw the ball for him.
roll.png
Gotta love border collies...he could have one eye, three legs and still want to herd or fetch. LOL

Poor fella. I'll bet your little girl is getting big.

Yeah, he's such a good boy...he's already 7 years old...he's going into semi-retirement this winter anyway...and I'm going to start my hunt for another LGD next spring...

Audrey is getting big. She's not walking but taking steps and "cruising" everywhere! She's got 4.5 teeth! LOL And she says all kinds of things, including "horse, avocado, banana, belly-button" and she's sooo smart. Yes, I'm a little bias. :)

She says "avocado" WOW that seems like a hard word. I'll bet she is cute. She was such a pretty baby.
I hope Cash feels better soon. I am very glad we don't have rattle snakes around here.

She says "avocado" WOW that seems like a hard word. I'll bet she is cute. She was such a pretty baby.
I hope Cash feels better soon. I am very glad we don't have rattle snakes around here.
Yeah, it's a modified version of "avocado!" :) It's more like, "ava-taad-doh!" LOL I'll have to put the videos on youtube at some point. They're on my FB...do you have FB?

Poor thing! I'm glad he's going to be okay. Our dog alerted us to a rattlesnake by our deck steps last week and DH was able to kill it.

Back
Top Bottom