Poor Deer :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
I feel so sad.... theres a small herd of deers that every night and every early morning comes through our yard...esp during winter, I throw up some stale bread near their trails so they have a snack to eat on thier way to and from. Well the biggest doe, I call the Matriarch...she iS the leader after all, is HUGE. Biggest doe i've ever seen as a matter of fact. She's always got a small herd of youngsters with her (atleast 5)...I don't know if she collects them or what but every winter it's always yearlings with her. She actually had two fawns and hid them in our yard a few years ago a buckling and a doeling. I highly doubt all of them are her own fawns but what do I know.

Anyhow...they are so used to seeing us, that they'll flag at me, but they won't run away...just keep doing what they're doing but flagging to let me know they see me. If i keep on them and walk towards them then they'll trot off. Well tonight our nosey neighbor called ot say there was deer in our backyard...well duh there always is....but to humor her I took my cocker spaniel out to potty and saw the deers.....all i saw was several youngsters...no Matriarch......and then i heard a groan....ever seen the movie Prancer? The groans prancer does is the groans I was hearing. I looked up into the woods, and several yards away was Matriarch....I thought she just tripped when I first saw her, but she kept "tripping" and then i realized both of her front legs were broken.
sad.png
Every time she lifted her one front leg to put pressure on the snow to move again she'd groan. My mom had told me about deer crying when they get hit by cars...but this wasnt a cry or a bleat this was a groan, almost like a buck grunt.

If it wasnt for my mom and the neighbor I would have ran inside and got my gun and put her out of her misery. All I can really hope is that her injuries are so severe she just passes instead of suffering dragging herself around. I'd contact the game commission, but we've called them before about deer and nothing ever seems to be done (now if its bear...something is done).

It breaks my heart to know that I highly doubt Matriarch will make it through the rest of this winter....and if these yearlings don't keep up her ritual of going through our yard we may miss out on that from now on.

If the shock from obvoiusly being hit by a car (or like my mom suggested falling) doesnt kill her, the coytoes will.
sad.png
*sigh* They bed right up in our woods every night so I'll have to go up tomorrow and see if she's up there.

hu.gif
hit.gif

Quote:
I would but the illegal aspect of taking care of wildlife without a license to my mom and neighbor would put me in some deep doo doo. You are not allowed (alteast here in pa) to putu a deer down, a policeman or the game commission must be called...and that's only if the deer is down and not moving.
sad.png

if the neighbor wasnt aware of what i was doing and if it was just me alone here at home I would have put her down no questions asked.

Last edited:
I don't know a single cop around here that wouldn't put a deer dragging on two broken legs out of it's misery. Have you ever tried calling the police for this type of issue? It's obviously not going to recover from that type of injury.

Oh please, go back and put that poor animal out of her misery. If only her front legs are broken, I highly doubt that she'll die on her own, and I'm sure she's in excruciating pain. If you called Animal Control, do you think they'd do anything, or at least point you in the right direction? Do you know anyone who hunts and would go there right now, to kill her?

Quote:
kay lol dont blame me here. That's exactly what im saying is a cop or game commisison would have to be called. The doe isnt in sight anymore. Have you ever seen how fast a deer can go when it's injured? Fight or flight responce. Please dont blame me for something i have no control over. I do agree the right thing to do is put her down. I feel horrible for her but I live at home with my parents (rent from them) on her property what she says goes. sorry.

Quote:
I hunt, it's illegal to kill deer by yourself unless it's during deer season.

Animal control she only deals with dogs and cats, and last time i've called her for loose animals she took over a week to get here.

I want her put down too...but she's gone alreaady, up in the woods somewhere, if i go up and try to look for her she'll just dash off....dunno where you guys are but it's pitch black outside here.

Call the commision, and get the permission, if you tell them she is sitting in your woods, groaning, they will grant it, or call in an officer to do it. Please try.

My thoughts are with you, and her. how awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom