Poor Japanese Bantam or Something Else

eveliens

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
Before I rehome this little darling, I want to make sure I'm not passing her off as the wrong breed. She came from the hatchery as an Asst. Japanese Bantam, but she (and the other white hen) don't seem to look quite the same as the Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantams I got in the same batch. The buffs have the short legs, tilted wings and big upright tail. Are the whites just a poor example of the breed or something else? Thanks!

1630171229901.png

Before I rehome this little darling, I want to make sure I'm not passing her off as the wrong breed. She came from the hatchery as an Asst. Japanese Bantam, but she (and the other white hen) don't seem to look quite the same as the Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantams I got in the same batch. The buffs have the short legs, tilted wings and big upright tail. Are the whites just a poor example of the breed or something else? Thanks!

View attachment 2814468
Pretty sure she's a poor Japanese.

Pretty sure she's a poor jap.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. Too bad because she's a pretty little hen but she's definitely missing some of the key characteristics of the breed. Fortunately, she seems to have the JPB temperment, so she's very sweet and I'm sure I can find her a home that doesn't mind.

View attachment 2814468
She’s so cute! I agree with poor JPB

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. Too bad because she's a pretty little hen but she's definitely missing some of the key characteristics of the breed. Fortunately, she seems to have the JPB temperment, so she's very sweet and I'm sure I can find her a home that doesn't mind.
Hi there, I think she may be a mix I'm no expert just learning and beginning to have backyard chicken, but I received 2 babies kikiriki and was told they are related or a mix with Bantam serama or the Japanese B. I lost the girl but have the baby roo he is now 2 month old and look very similar to yours I am looking for a girl for him and will be happy to have her I live in Miami Florida where do you have her? How old is she? Some one told me I should get one that is close to his age.

Hi there, I think she may be a mix I'm no expert just learning and beginning to have backyard chicken, but I received 2 babies kikiriki and was told they are related or a mix with Bantam serama or the Japanese B. I lost the girl but have the baby roo he is now 2 month old and look very similar to yours I am looking for a girl for him and will be happy to have her I live in Miami Florida where do you have her? How old is she? Some one told me I should get one that is close to his age.
She's from a hatchery, so she wouldn't be a mix. Either she's a poor JPB or a mistake of another breed :) At the time of the picture she was 10 weeks. She's now much more mature and has actually grown into more of the breed's characteristics as her adult feathers are appearing and she's dropping her wings properly.

I decided to keep her, as she doesn't get along with another chickens will, and sold her better looking sister instead. Good luck finding your boy a girl(s) - seramas are a super popular breed and you should be able to fine one on facebook groups or craigslist. But really any bantam hens/pullets would be fine for him, as they're all the same bird, just look different because of selective breeding.

Back
Top Bottom