Poor Little Hen

paellisinOKLA

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2020
So, likely a dumb question but here we go:

The smallest Hen in my flock is at the bottom of the pecking order, I have taken a hands off approach expecting that it will sort itself out. That said, the poor Hen is now bald on the back of her neck. Initially I applied a mint salve trying to south the bald skin, keep it from chapping, but this seemed to bother her more than help. Is there anything else that I can do?

concerned in Oklahoma

It may be necessary to separate her from the flock. Such feather pecking can sometimes lead to cannibalism.

Definitely not a dumb question. Putting blu-kote on her bald neck spot Should deter them from further pecking there. Blu-kote masks blood and helps prevent pecking at the bloody area. (Chickens are naturally attracted to the color red, which is why chick feeders and waterers are usually red.) But the other chickens may start bullying her on another body part. If u see they've caused her to bleed, remove her immediately. Because yes, they could quickly cannibalize and kill her.
U might also investigate Pinless Peepers. Ive never used them since my chickens are free-range and so feather pecking & picking hasnt been a big problem. But Pinless Peepers Might provide a solution to your little hen's issue.

Would help to know....

-your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
-your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
-and what and how exactly you are feeding,

might offer clues to if there is a solvable problem.

Back
Top Bottom