Poor Lonely baby

Autumn Leaves

Songster
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
Cincinnati Ohio
Long story short some temperature fluctuations and post office handling gave me just one chick out of 36 eggs. This poor little girl (I hope) is so upset. She is so tiny (d'Anver) and wants a friend. She hatched yesterday and I have her in the brooder all alone. I am newish to chicks (this is my third hatch) and I never handled them this young, I just left them in the brooder under the heat lamp. My big hens are not old enough to lay so I don't have any broodies to be her mommy.

Question: Since she is so lonely, can I get her out of the brooder and hold her? Or do I risk chilling her? She is 1 day old. I have been placing my hand in the brooder for her to snuggle with and I put a washcloth in there all wadded up, she cuddles with it. Is there anything else I can do to for her. Unfortunately there are not any chicks at Tractor Supply yet so I can't go pick up some friends for her.

Long story short some temperature fluctuations and post office handling gave me just one chick out of 36 eggs. This poor little girl (I hope) is so upset. She is so tiny (d'Anver) and wants a friend. She hatched yesterday and I have her in the brooder all alone. I am newish to chicks (this is my third hatch) and I never handled them this young, I just left them in the brooder under the heat lamp. My big hens are not old enough to lay so I don't have any broodies to be her mommy.

Question: Since she is so lonely, can I get her out of the brooder and hold her? Or do I risk chilling her? She is 1 day old. I have been placing my hand in the brooder for her to snuggle with and I put a washcloth in there all wadded up, she cuddles with it. Is there anything else I can do to for her. Unfortunately there are not any chicks at Tractor Supply yet so I can't go pick up some friends for her.

You can definitely hold her.
Just make sure you don't keep her out for a very long time.

Tell him you only ordered coffee.
wink.png

Aww. That is similar to what I did when I had rescued a few to-be-culled chicks from a class I was in. After one suddenly got sick and died, I put a small stuffed toy in the brooder box for the other 2 to cuddle against. If you can't get chicks right away I think she'd probably okay if you took her out for short periods, perhaps cupping your hands around her so body heat can keep her warm?

ditto meyers hatchery as being an option for a small order. You could get 3 chicks which would add up to 4 total. Or you could try craigslist. I'd go with 2-3 more chicks to add. Just in-case one dies there is still a buddy. You can handle the chick, I just would do it for very short periods.

You could try a feather duster(Walmart $.97) in with her it simulates momma. I held my babies all the time. Your body heat will keep it somewhat warm.

Back
Top Bottom