Poor man's chicken powered automatic door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by oxfordethan, Nov 25, 2013.

1. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    It's been a while since I've posted. The thing I dislike the most about keeping chickens is having to go out in the morning when it's 20 degrees to let the birds out. So I came up with this Rube-Goldberg style auto door. Sorry for the vertical screen shot while videoing. Enjoy. I looked outside early this morning and the door was still shut. Got ready for work and then looked back outside and they were all free ranging. I love it when a plan comes together!

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/oxf...44-3631-000003A02B6A4929_zps98344d8d.mp4.html

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Whoa! Really ingenious. Had my husband come in and watch this as he's a fairly "crafty" kinda' guy, too. Thinking maybe he can make something similar for our pop door.

Bravo!

3. oxfordethan

oxfordethan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Thanks! In the afternoon when i collect the eggs, I remove the red carabiner and clip it to the loop just inside the door frame. This allows the nesting box door to close while still keeping the coop open (so they don't roost in the nesting box before I close them in for the night). When I go out to close them in for the night I just reclip the carabiner to the coop door and set the hook.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    For some reason I can never view photo bucket videos and sometimes not even pics.

5. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    Bummer. I can't see it either :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by