Poor man's electric fence - Mouse Traps!

jryeo

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
My dad has had success keeping raccoons from digging worms in his lawn by putting mousetraps in the area where they are digging. After the 'coons get snapped once or twice, they don't come back for a long time.

I screwed mousetraps around my coop, and placed a bunch on the ground around the coop. Two were sprung last night!

The ones screwed to the coop aren't so good, as when one goes off it sets the rest off. I'd rather have multiple deterrents than one big snap.

Raccoons are very smart animals and we have to take advantage of their intelligence to keep them away. Hopefully this aversion therapy keeps my birds safe...

coop_traps.jpg

Last edited:
I fixed the photo link. Here's a photo of my coop. I wish I had learned that 'coons can rip chicken wire before I finished building it. It's going to be a pain in the A$$ and more $$ to redo the wire. I put up the traps for the time being...

coop.jpg

My brother lost several chickens to Racoons. He put chocolate XLAX under a 5 gal bucket. The Coons would eat the XLAX and no more Coons after a few times with the XLAX. I have electric wire around my coop run and yard. 6000 volts.

Last edited:
The mouse traps seem like a great idea... well worth trying for anyone with coons around.

I'm wondering how the coon associates the XLAX with not coming back to the coop as it would take a while to kick in and affect the coon?

Back
Top Bottom