Poor old hen, dang rooster won't leave her alone.

Chickengal505

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Bolivia N.C
Hey guys, I have a buff/RIR mix whos about two years old now. My roosters who are a year, will NOT leave her be. They have torn a flap of skin from the back of her neck and have halfway destroyed her comb. Her whole head is purple now, thanks to blue cote. I've band-aided her "flap" down to her head and she seems very hungery and thirsty. I don't have the room to isolate her now ans she cant go back in with the others. I can't imange life at the coop with out her but I MUST get rid of her. I'm about to put up a sign at the local feed store offering five dollars and a saddle to whom ever doesn't have a rooster and will take her. Anything else I need to do to get her a good home? Does she need any further treatment or would she be okay?

I'd say the blue-kote will probably take care of the wounds. Sorry your having to find her a new home. How many roos do you have? are they all ganging up on her? if you really like her and you have more roos than you need 1 roo to 10 hens maybe find a good home for the roos.

Poor sweet little thing. I agree with you, maybe re-homing her is your best bet.
hugs.gif

I have two roosters and six hens. I have three more hens growing up as we speak and about 18 more babys. I don't think it's over breeding as her back feathers are all perfict. And all the rest of my hens have nice pretty feathers that have never been touched. The "in flock" was all raised together from babys and she is my last hen from my first flock. :'( I'm goning to miss her but my dog kennel is working as a brooder and my isolation pen as a brooder. Under normal conditions I would keep her but I just dont have time to build a new pen or have a old pen to put her in.

Quote:
I would get rid of one of my roosters but one makes beautiful babys and other one is a great protector. The one with pretty babys is the sweetest darn rooster I've ever had. He'll stop infront of you an beg to be held. The other one is the hens fav. and they trow a fit when i take him out to work on his spurs ect.

I will not keep a rooster who damages his hens that way. They can mate without tearing up the hen.

Roosters who injure hens produce the same. Like generally begets like. 2 roosters to 6 hens is one rooster too many. JMO

Back
Top Bottom