Poor roosting choice - okay for winter?

Good idea but I need the ventilation!
It's really great ventilation, so I agree that you want it open. I was going to say originally that maybe ventilation was a possible reason the chickens didn't want to roost inside, but the entire top being open wire above the coop, with protection from a roof? Very much ideal.

didn't mean a solid door panel to close it up entirely, especially after just mentioning putting hardware cloth up but apparently everyone jumped straight to that assumption. :rolleyes:
I didn't assume a solid door, however I don't know if I'd want "stuff" sitting in that area above either, mostly because 1) I'm short and my hubby loves to thoughtlessly put things up high where I can't even see it 2) wouldn't want to put too much weight on the wire 3) wouldn't want to block off any of the airflow. Of course it's not like you'd want to put anything big or heavy up there, but even something relatively light like some empty feed bags could reduce the ventilation provided by the space.

Hi! Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

my coop and run are predator proof. We have an Omlet auto door. As you can see in the pictures, the chickens roost on top of the coop on the hardware cloth instead of IN the coop. This makes cleaning harder and sometimes they lay an egg up there and I can live with those things but my preference is they roost IN the coop. Will the hardware cloth freeze their feet in the cold winter? I am thinking of removing the hardware cloth and revising the roosts in the coop or blocking that top section all together? Any thoughts on my roosts in the coop - clearly they don’t like them very much. I am thinking of moving the Omlet door to the run so they can get access to the outdoor paddock and then leave the little coop door open. The paddock is hot wired and has goats and ponies so they are pretty safe out there during the day. Any advice is welcome!
I would remove the wire above the coop and just block off the wall where they’re getting up there. Then raise the roost in the coop. That will give them more height in the coop and keep them from being on top of it and making it a mess. And if the run is also completely covered I would just keep the coop door open.

1) I'm short and my hubby loves to thoughtlessly put things up high where I can't even see it

My family isn't so bad about that after much training but it's an issue at work where the guys who unload the trucks and put food and supplies onto the shelves are over 6' while the women who work mornings are so short that I'm the tall one at 5'3".

I didn't assume a solid door, however I don't know if I'd want "stuff" sitting in that area above either, mostly because 1) I'm short and my hubby loves to thoughtlessly put things up high where I can't even see it 2) wouldn't want to put too much weight on the wire 3) wouldn't want to block off any of the airflow. Of course it's not like you'd want to put anything big or heavy up there, but even something relatively light like some empty feed bags could reduce the ventilation provided by the space.
And I have a similar area above my coop though the space isn't large enough for any chickens to get into. The gap is just large enough to tuck a a small chick feeder and an extra light bulb (completely out of sight lol) and it has been very handy to keep these few small things in a place where I can grab them quickly when needed - note something as large as feed bags wasn't mentioned in my previous post. It was just a suggestion but thank you for picking my suggestion apart with a fine tooth comb like I was suggested they suffocate their chickens. Have a good day.

And I have a similar area above my coop though the space isn't large enough for any chickens to get into. The gap is just large enough to tuck a a small chick feeder and an extra light bulb (completely out of sight lol) and it has been very handy to keep these few small things in a place where I can grab them quickly when needed
Obviously their set up is different than yours and does look to have a bit of space on top. I'm glad you have space for useful small items, but never know what someone else might put in their "storage area" that wouldn't be so appropriate. Wasn't trying to imply anything about your set up being poor or that you were making a poor suggestion.

Obviously their set up is different than yours and does look to have a bit of space on top. I'm glad you have space for useful small items, but never know what someone else might put in their "storage area" that wouldn't be so appropriate. Wasn't trying to imply anything about your set up being poor or that you were making a poor suggestion.
Wait, why would you say I have a poor set up... I said that it is similar, not the exact same, that implies differences but also a familiarity with it. I should not have to put disclaimers on everything. Nor will I. To some extent I will trust that the person on the receiving end is intelligent and can tailor the specifics to fit their needs and their liking.✌️

And I have a similar area above my coop though the space isn't large enough for any chickens to get into. The gap is just large enough to tuck a a small chick feeder and an extra light bulb (completely out of sight lol) and it has been very handy to keep these few small things in a place where I can grab them quickly when needed - note something as large as feed bags wasn't mentioned in my previous post. It was just a suggestion but thank you for picking my suggestion apart with a fine tooth comb like I was suggested they suffocate their chickens. Have a good day.
I totally get what you're saying. I love having storage in my coop - so much so that I'd probably be tempted use at least half that space, shore it up, put a door and cut holes somewhere else for ventilation! 🤣

Wait, why would you say I have a poor set up... I said that it is similar, not the exact same, that implies differences but also a familiarity with it. I should not have to put disclaimers on everything. Nor will I. To some extent I will trust that the person on the receiving end is intelligent and can tailor the specifics to fit their needs and their liking.✌️
I just said I wasn't implying you had a poor setup... sigh.

I never ever meant any insult and I apologize if you're reading all my comments in a negative light, but I never once meant any of it as criticism and I'm sorry if it comes across that way.

I wish you well and hope this will bring a peaceful conclusion to this misunderstanding/.

Back
Top Bottom