1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Poor whitey Almost lost the battle :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenaddict, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have had 2 serama roosters together since they were 3 months old, the boys are now 2 years old and had their first fight. Luckily I was home to break it up. Bernie won and whitey would have fought to the bitter end had I not been here to seperate them. I truely thought they would be buddies forever but I guess that was just wishful thinking. Whitey is my best breeder, now he is in recovery in the basement with a few special needs hens so he is not lonely. Poor whitey [​IMG] he is just covered in blood, after he acclimates to the indoor temps a bit i am thinking about giving him a nice warm bath and cleaning his comb wounds a bit better. Ahhh let the winter madness begin......

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009

2. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Songster

Apr 9, 2009
    Sorry to hear that. I had a bloody hen a few weeks ago, one of the roos bit her comb. Liquid bandaid works wonders!! Had to re-home the roos after I was the next one bleeding, again love the liquid bandaid

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Sorry to hear about your hen [​IMG] Those combs bleed pretty good even when the wound isn't too bad. I just cleaned him up and put a dab of corn starch where the bleeding was after his bath I am gonna dab on the usual bluecoat so the girls don't peck at it, he wasn't too beat up as the whole battle was less than 5 minutes. I have the liquid bandaid on hand but I don't think he needs it at this point but it is good to have just in case [​IMG]

4. evonne

evonne Songster

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    aaww poor guy.... after reading your first post then thinking back to the title of the thread, i thought he had passed from his injuries...
    hope he's back to normal soon...

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I hope he pulls through. [​IMG] Now, you just have to keep them away from each other. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Wow, I would have thought after 2 years, there wouldn't be fighting. Thankfully you were there. I hope he's okay.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:Sorry about that, I went back and edited the title I meant to put "almost didn't make it" He seems to be doing great. I am wondering if this wasn't his plan to get the luxury of coming in the house lol

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:Yeah me too and there are plenty of hens to share and plenty of room to roam. I don't know what got into them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by