Pop Doors, without the door?

DutchieWannabe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 18, 2010
Idaho
I am using a converted tool shed for my coop. I cut a "pop door" but I never added an actual door for protection etc. , and the chickens seem fine it. So far I have had Zero problems with predators. Do I still need to add an actual door, not just an opening? what about during winter?

I don't know where you are located. However if you are in a colder climate you would want a door to close during winter to stop cold updrafts. I leave my pop door to the run open in the summer just for the added air circulation. In winter I shut that door at night to stop up drafts. That's just my two cents.

I don't have a pop door, just a hole. Mine opens into a secure run. Nothing bigger than a rat can get in. During the rare cold weather we get, or extreme wind; I put a yard table over the hole to block it.

Imp

BTW- I like your avatar.

Last edited:
I do the same. If it's a chilly night, I close the door. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something to keep out the drafts. I have just a door that slides shut.

Thanks all. Ill start plannign for something that I can cover the door when its too cold/ at nights

@MistyValley- I live in Boise Idaho, Weather = Hot (90's-100's) and dry in summer, and cold (nights regulary freezing or below) in the winter.

@Imp- Thanks... I have a love affair with all things Amsterdam
love.gif
... and now, chickens too!
wee.gif

Quote:
lol.png
Then we must assume you stole that bicycle (good Amsterdam tradition) and will harbor Barnevelders, Welsummers, and Dutch banties?
tongue.png

Last edited:
I also am new to chickens, and just finished my coop last week. I did put in a pop door on simple hinges with a hook to hold it shut, should I ever want to. Last night was the first night that I put all 4 hens in the coop and shut the doors. Whe I got up this morning they were all out again, on their own. I like that they can push the doors open if they need to get out.
cool.png

opening the door for the chickens and not the others hey? Good idea.
A simple trick like a drink bottle and an attached string to hang around the door can keep the door shut when chickens are not going through the door.
Just fill the drink bottle with water or sand to make it heavy enough to close the door, but not too heavy for chicken to push through.

~Then we must assume you stole that bicycle (good Amsterdam tradition) and will harbor Barnevelders, Welsummers, and Dutch banties? ~

@Saxet, only the picture of THAT bike was stolen
wink.png
and yes Barnevelders, Welsummers and Dutch Banties are on my dream list.

U been to the Netherlands?

Quote:
lol.png
You could say that. (lived there and have a similar bike in my shed right now, though not yellow but a boring black)
I am personally attracted to (golden) lakenvelders (Vorwerk) but since I have never seen those over there (contrary to the others on the above list) I am not too sure if they would count under all things Dutch.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom