Poppy & the Giant Babies

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Imma try to keep this concise....

A bad shipping experience led me to divide the order between broodies out in the coop and an intensive care brooder in my livingroom. After more loss, I ended up with 1 chick inside. I bought 2 EE chicks to keep the lone survivor company, but those babies were giants compared to my solo chick (even though same age), so I moved the giant babies outside to brood in the coop.

Today, a month later, I go out to see that Poppy, my buff Orpington, has adopted the 6 week old giant babies spontaneously. She'd made a nest, and they were climbing all over her.

Bad pic, but here they are:
20220609_153354.jpg

Anyone else have a chicken adopt older chicks???

Imma try to keep this concise....

A bad shipping experience led me to divide the order between broodies out in the coop and an intensive care brooder in my livingroom. After more loss, I ended up with 1 chick inside. I bought 2 EE chicks to keep the lone survivor company, but those babies were giants compared to my solo chick (even though same age), so I moved the giant babies outside to brood in the coop.

Today, a month later, I go out to see that Poppy, my buff Orpington, has adopted the 6 week old giant babies spontaneously. She'd made a nest, and they were climbing all over her.

Bad pic, but here they are:
View attachment 3142534

Anyone else have a chicken adopt older chicks???

None of the hens have shown any maternal interest in chicks, but the rooster, Ludwig, babysits.

He is indeed. And he's still for sale if anyone in NC needs a good rooster.
A good rooster is a good thing to have!

I am not doing well in the rooster dept, so I don't know what that's like firsthand. I have 1 roo who is kind of a jerk, and 1 cockerel who I can't yet read. The first I was far too nice to. This new fella was raised hands off, but he's all hormone right now and is annoying the girls.

A good rooster is a good thing to have!

I am not doing well in the rooster dept, so I don't know what that's like firsthand. I have 1 roo who is kind of a jerk, and 1 cockerel who I can't yet read. The first I was far too nice to. This new fella was raised hands off, but he's all hormone right now and is annoying the girls.

If you weren't on the other end of the country ...

Back
Top Bottom