Popular Music , Dumbing Down Our Kids?

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Quote:
That's what they said about the Beatles, Elvis and the Rolling Stones

jeremy

Exactly.

myself. I like some of the rap that is out there. some of the new pop as well.
I have everything from Elvis to Lady GaGa on my IPod.
My 6 year old daughter prefers "classic" AC/DC which is good since I cant stand the Kidz Bop crap. Her favorite song is "Shook Me All Night Long"
Kid can belt it out.​

Nnothing beats a three year old singing "Dirty Deeds" or "Cherry Pie" in the back seat.When we say "I like .." SAmmyLou will finish ....big butts and i cannot lie" all our kids can recite the entire lyrics for Paradise City.

Quote:
He a pistol. Morning wood
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

ETA:
ONe of my all time favorite station is that station that i can only tune into when driving down I-75 in the London/Corbin KY area. Classic straight from the holler bluegrass.

Last edited:
And at the forefront of the dumbing-down-through-language movement...drumroll please...Rachel Ray! If I hear "yummo!" one more time, I'm going on a shooting spree.

I would listen to stuff from Sweden and Japan, but Itunes doesn't carry that sort of thing.
somad.gif

Quote:
You hate her, methinks.

Quote:
HEY HEY HEY NOW! Thats good music your talkin bout. Rick James is some 100% Pure D New Iberia Louisiana Sugar Cane Festival music now! LOL

I personally liked....

"When I came home last night...
she wouldn't make love to me..
she was fast asleep
she wouldn't even talk to me..."

Quote:
Exactly.

myself. I like some of the rap that is out there. some of the new pop as well.
I have everything from Elvis to Lady GaGa on my IPod.
My 6 year old daughter prefers "classic" AC/DC which is good since I cant stand the Kidz Bop crap. Her favorite song is "Shook Me All Night Long"
Kid can belt it out.

Nnothing beats a three year old singing "Dirty Deeds" or "Cherry Pie" in the back seat.When we say "I like .." SAmmyLou will finish ....big butts and i cannot lie" all our kids can recite the entire lyrics for Paradise City.

i would be livid if someone taught my 3 year old to sing cherry pie..
that said, my ex sister in law taught her little girl to sing this horrible song by an equally horrid group called buckcherry that i wont go into on here but anyone who has had the misfortune of hearing it on the radio or otherwise would be just as shocked and appalled, i imagine.
so glad my husband and i have different tastes in music than the general population!

I dont know, but with us, what goes around comes around. My 13 year old DS loves the classic rock of the 70s and 80s. Journey, Styx, AC/DC, John Cougar, even some Queen and Elton John. I'm re-living my teen years through him.

LOL

When my dd was 3 I was boarding my horse at a race stable. I was the only woman in the barn that had a "riding horse" and had to develop a thicker skin. Although from hanging out with Marines and mechanics all my life it wasnt hard.
One of the trainers asked my dd what she wanted to be when she grew up and then told her to tell me she wanted to "be a stripper"
For months whenever someone asked her, jokingly since a 3 year old has no clue. She would reply "A Stripper"
I had a tough time being upset with the guys about this one. It was all in good fun.

She enjoys the music we listen to. It isnt hokey or corny. It has an honest beat and we ALL enjoy it. I promptly throw out "kid muzic" CDs that are given to us. And the Kidz Bop CDs in the current Happy Meals have gone the same route, but by HER choice. She listened to two songs and announced it was terrible and tossed it. Good kid.
She was belting out "I kissed a girl and i liked it" one day. After the song was over I used the commercial break to discuss what the lyrics meant.
She also likes Nickleback, Hinder and Buckcherry

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
ahh! the memories! I still like those songs!
hide.gif

LOL, me too! My son loves the Beatles more than any other band. He's 7!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom