Popular Music , Dumbing Down Our Kids?

Not going to read through the entire thread. My husband is 32 and listens to Death Metal (oh how I HATE his music), and he is brilliant and not the least bit violent. my oldest and youngest sons are not very into music. My 9 y/o, however, is. He has a rather large collection of "crap" according to what I am reading here. He is also at the top of his class in all subjects, will be in the math carnival, is well behaved, reads constantly, is polite and just too stinkin' cute. Music is NOT what makes the person.

mom'sfolly :

OMG, fogie, codger, geezer, old fart alert.

People have been saying that the younger generation is more decadent, has looser morals, is less educated, stupider, etc since at least Socrates. The music, clothes, langauge and slang that younger generation has is almost always considered "loose" by the older generation. At one time the waltz was not allowed to be danced in public because it was too licentious. Flappers clothes and hair were too short and girls smoked, and the language, my gosh it was the cat's pajamas................

Yep. You hit the nail on the head.

I can't understand any of the lyrics on rap songs. Rap is one of the few genres of music I can't listen to. I am disgusted with the stuff Disney puts on their channels though. It makes kids think that the only way to success id to be a star.​

If you want to hear music that doesn't 'dumb down' the English language... have a listen to a little indie band from Portland, Oregon called The Decemberists.
http://decemberists.com/news.aspx
I an NOT exaggerating when I tell you I use a dictionary to understand some of the words in their songs. Colin Meloy, the front man/writer of the group is a lyrical genius!
I don't listen to the radio, there is nothing but crap on the air waves! It is sad what passes for music currently.

Quote:
clap.gif
Me too!!!

Well I'd have to agree with you all...maybe its a sign I'm getting old? lol.

Seriously though, I work with a lot of highschool kids....if I have to hear about how "Hollywood Undead" is the best band ever one more time.....
barnie.gif
I mean I gave them a chance to prove their case to me by letting them play a cd during cleanup. At best, I'd rate them as a mediocre hybrid of Linkin Park, Backstreet Boys, and the Beastie Boys.

Here's my thoughts...I'll listen to any type of music and love muscians from all types. But the music has to be done well, it has to stimulate my mind and emotions. Clever word play wins for me over blantant-statements.

I agree that unfortunately music is an industry now. Its paperwork and contracts, not so much talent. However, I don't think less credit should be given to good singers who aren't great songwriters. Afterall, how many jockeys in the Kentucky Derby own the horse they ride?

For those of you who feel rap is the main downfall...there is good rap out there. Also, (I'll admit the title escapes me at the moment) there's a song a rap artist put out which was banned from BET for being racially incensitive. Why? Cause it told the young black population to "read a book read a book read a ********** book" among other things. Basically the message was take care of yourself, your family, make yourself better and quit spending money on crap you don't need. To top it off he sampled classical music for this.

Now then, for some bands that I listen to you so that you can judge my tastes, lol.

Hank Williams, Hank Williams 3, Alan Jackson, Chris LeDoux, Slayer, Metallica, Dimmu Borgir, Rage Against the Machine, KMFDM, VNV Nation, Marilyn Manson, Johnny Cash, Three Dog Night, Brother Ali, Heiroglyphics, Atmosphere, Rasputina, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, Nirvana, Korn, Warren Zevon, Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Front 242, a perfect circle, System of a Down, Ludacris, Throwdown, George Strait, White Snake, Billy Idol, Apocalyptica, London After Midnight, Little Texas, Nightwish, Skinny Puppy, Merle Haggard, The Reverend Horton Heat, The Legendary Shack Shakers, Charlie Daniels Band, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys....ok that's a long enough list, you get the idea....fire away and critique my tastes if you wish! lol
hide.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I listen to the same stuff. Kinda looks like the contents of my MP3 player. I'm glad you didn't put Toby Keith on there. Please don't put Toby Kieth on there or I'm not gonna be your BFF (i think that's correct) anymore.
big_smile.png

jeremy

Quote:
Haha yeah he isn't on the list. Aside from his "sheep-like warble" isn't the only reason I don't listen to him, but it is one of the big ones.

I rarely even listen to radio these days. I have Sirius in the car, and when I listen to it's just news stations (gotta listen to the Jane Mitchell repeats in the morning!). Usually though, it's audio books for me. I commute about an hour and a half each way. I'm near hysteria when my book ends before I've gotten another one.

When my 7 year old is in the car with me it's the Kidstuff station.

When I started college in mid-50's, I knew the words to every country/western and pop music that had been sung on radio or sold on records that I bought. I started going with an opera singer at Indiana University and got hooked (on opera and classical music that is). After graduation, I married Anne, a violinist and concert master of the Indianapolis Philharmonic Orchestra, so pop music from the mid-60's just sort of disappeared for both of us. We both now really regret that's happening even though we really think rap and some of the other stuff is plain trash, but I know a lot of it must be as good or better than the 50's music that I still like. Neverless, Anne and I both feel "out of it" because we cannot answer a single pop music question on Jeopardy about contemporary bands when the obviously intelligent contestants and some friends can just rattle off the answers. Sitting here, try as I may, I cannot think of the name of ONE contemporary band. Now that's being inexcusably "OUT OF IT"!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom