Porcelain D'Uccle: Roo or Pullet?

ShawnaScott

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Frankfort, IN

So I mistakenly bought two D'Uccles (I was told that they were Silkies because of the feathered feet
barnie.gif
) But it turned out well because this little girl decided I was her favorite and follows me everywhere! She loves to sit on my shoulder and whistle at me! However, I am concerned because she is getting a rather huge comb. Her sister also has one, so if I didn't know if it was a D'Uccle thing to get one on hens. (I know hens can have them)

Do you think my little girl is actually a girl? Or is she a roo?? I am so hoping she is a girl!
fl.gif

If its only 4-5 weeks, then it's definitely a cockerel, not a pullet.

If you want a silkie there's a good way to tell a silkie apart from the other chickens. They actually have black skin. So if you brush their down feathers back, their skin is a blackish purplish color. Also, silkies have 5 toes. While nearly almost every chicken breed only has 4 toes.

If its only 4-5 weeks, then it's definitely a cockerel, not a pullet.

If you want a silkie there's a good way to tell a silkie apart from the other chickens. They actually have black skin. So if you brush their down feathers back, their skin is a blackish purplish color. Also, silkies have 5 toes. While nearly almost every chicken breed only has 4 toes.
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
hide.gif
I am going to be so upset if he stops loving me once he realizes he is a boy
hit.gif
Thanks for the tip about SIlkies. I did end up getting some a few weeks ago and thankfully they do have black skin and five tows!

Another thing I've noticed about my chicks in general, is the more friendly ones are usually the cockerels :/ . The pullets are normally the ones to run frantically around the brooder box lol.

Another thing I've noticed about my chicks in general, is the more friendly ones are usually the cockerels
hmm.png
. The pullets are normally the ones to run frantically around the brooder box lol.
Aww man I hope that isn't true for all chicks!! I have 2 that are super sweet and cuddly! What do you do when you get too many roos?

We have a super friendly little guy that is still (usually) as sweet as can be. He runs up chattering and follows us around. The only "roo" problem is that we have to carefully gauge whether he's in a friendly mood or not, because on the "not" days he'll try to pull the skin off our hand when we reach out to pick him up.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom