Porcelain Pyncheon PICS

Thanks Julie! Those are great pics and nice looking birds. I see they have some of the same challenges we have with our line. They are still excellent representations of the breed and I'm thrilled to hear someone is showing them to keep the word out about them.

Jody

I swear I saw some bantys that look like that at the flea market the other day. I thought they were a mix of some sort (and they very well could have been) but they look like the ones on feathersite (the millie fluer pattern). I am going to have to take a chart with me next time, lol That way I won't pass something up!

Katie

Katie - you very well could have seen some at a sale. You never know what you'll find at those places..some treasures..some junk, but it's always good to know what you're looking at.
wink.png

DC - I love their tassels and really like that they aren't huge like my silkies had. I don't know how they ever found their food dish. hehe The pyncheon are doing well and seem happy here. Can't wait till they are laying, so I can hatch little peeps from them.

Jody

Thanks countryboy! They are such cutie patooties.
love.gif

Jody

smile.png
Keep working on those Pyncheons! I have become very interested in preserving this very important heritage breed. I bought a copy of The House of the Seven Gables just to read the few passages where Hawthorne mentions them. Hawthorne actually raised this breed around 1850. I wish the SPPA or some other organization would obtain grant funding to do a serious genetics-based breeding and research program. In my opinion, this breed (and others) should be protected, propagated, and featured at our national zoo or some arm of the Smithsonian. If anyone knows more about Nathaniel Hawthorne's connection to this breed, please pass the information back to me.

Yardegg

Thanks Yardegg for your post. I agree with you wholeheartedly that this breed needs protection and more folks working on them to ensure they do not go extinct. My partner and I have split up our efforts on the mille fleur and porcelain so we can put more focus on propagating each variety.

As an update, we started getting some random eggs from the porcelain girls and I plan to set some this afternoon. Let's hope for a good hatch. Winter or not, these guys are so important to me.

I also wanted to add that these guys are featured on feathersite if you'd like to see more pics and names of other breeders dedicated to them. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Pyn/BRKPynch.html

Jody

Back
Top Bottom