Porcelain Silkie Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rilly10, Jul 29, 2011.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I have seen lots of posts about Porcelain Silkies and there has been a lot of talk about the project recently so I wanted to start a thread where we call all share pictures, thoughts, as questions, and generally talk porcelain silkies! Post away!!! [​IMG]

2. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I will start with my project so far....this is how it started:

Gen 1- Buff Silkie X Lav Silkie = Buffs split to Lav
    Gen 2-Buff Splits X Lavenders
    Gen 3-This is where I am now. Ones that show too much buff are in with lavs again, ones that have a nicer even color are in with other porcelains.

Here are some pictures of my project porcelains...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    I had one chick hatch from shipped eggs. I don't know what color he is but it's possible he's a porcelain. What color do you think he is?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are two more recent pics taken today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    OOO, was waiting to see if anyone else was gonna start this. I will get some pictures this weekend of my project pair of porcelains.

5. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    omg I think I have one, the little chick started out white and now his body is that pretty brown speckled but his/her head and neck are still white, I wish I could post a pic that I have but it this site for some reason wont let me [​IMG][​IMG] Oh but I sure hope so they are so pretty [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am so glad you started this! I have been wondering if this little girl is a good start to a porcelain project. I have 2 pretty much the same color one is a bit bigger than the other. Lucy & Lacy.
    But here is Lucy awhile. Lacy is broody so I might not be able to get a good pic for awhile on her. Lucy just hatched chicks and is not in top form either. She is my smallest hen but has the biggest attitude in the coop! LOL
    If she is a good start to a porcelain project, what would you recommend I breed with her? I can try to get better pictures later if needed.
    Thanks!!!
    [​IMG]

7. Brookiesflock

Brookiesflock Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    ok got this figured out lol, so the little guy on the bottom right, what do you think a Porcelain???
    Quote:

8. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:Porcelain coloring is Mille Fluer with the lav gene or Mottled Buff or Red Columbian with the Lav gene. You are missing two essential genes for it to be porcelain, Columbian and Mottled.

9. emmalynn

emmalynn Silkies Sebbies OEGBs

Oct 16, 2008
    Middle TN
    Quote:Porcelain coloring is Mille Fluer with the lav gene or Mottled Buff or Red Columbian with the Lav gene. You are missing two essential genes for it to be porcelain, Columbian and Mottled.

Sometimes what we call things in the way of color for Silkies does not align with other breeds. Maybe Isabel is a better term but most use Porcelain if the color is not as clear- kinda like calico w/ darker wings over lighter body. Yes I know we don't have Mille Fleur but we still use the term.

10. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Hi Laura,
    Nice to see pics of Brody & the girls. [​IMG] I thought you had sold them all. I Just hatched a bunch of their siblings here [​IMG]
    April

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by