Porcelain Silkie Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rilly10, Jul 29, 2011.

1. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this thread dead? I just hatched my first porcelain and am wondering if others are still pursuing this color?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think there are plenty still breeding and showing, but there has been a lot of controversy over what constitutes a porcelain and what does not, and what name to call them by. And that as a result of that controversy (both here on BYC and on other boards), a lot of folks have simply stopped discussing it. I know that I won't say nearly as much on this thread or several others as I used to--I get tired of being bashed by people who have had chickens half the time that I have.

The top photo and at least two of the three (maybe all three) in the second look to be porcelain.

3. peepblessed

Thank you for responding. You have a good eye. The third one is splash. [​IMG]

4. IndigoEgg

IndigoEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

http://indigoegg.us/2011CrossroadsInverness.html Got a picture of Cream Puff on this page :) http://indigoegg.us/February-March2011.html and a few others on this page.... Got a couple coops going... Porcelain was just a cool color that popped up every now and then from a Splash/Blue/SelfBlue coop I had... that may have had George descendants in it. LOVE them .. Then I kept a couple odd colored chicks from another coop and they ended up being kind of the same color... and I traded for a couple creamie ones from Aimee :) ... then a couple popped up from my Lavender to Lavender Split coops.. I'm no geneticist, but a pretty Silkie is a pretty Silkie no matter what color! I also have a couple SelfBlue/PartridgieBuff girls ... yeah... go ahead and laugh. :) I love them!!! I haven't been on BYC in ages... but this thread popped up in my email. I'm pondering Mille Fluer and red columbian and mottled buff at the moment :) way over my length of attention span, but I'd love to have Silkies in all those colors. I plan to get serious and read Sigrid's book, but a little girl I know has it doing a book report on Silkies... I can't wait to hear all about it!

5. peepblessed

Wow! You sound seriously over-whelmed!! I was on your site recently. You have a beautiful flock of silkies!

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am looking for Porcelain Silkie eggs to buy. I am most interested in what is considered show quality. I have a hen and I am looking for a roo to go with her. I would like to see pictures of your flock, and I am willing to show the lovely Miss Tolay aka Miss Tootoo. I think she is simply gorgeous.

7. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    This week old chick came from a pen with lavenders. Is it a porcelain/isabel? It looks quite a bit like my porcelain d'uccle chicks except with more buff/straw color on wings and front end.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    looks like one to me. Maybe one of the Lavenders has Porcelain in it's background. Are the Lavender coloring even, or does it have a brassy cast to it?

9. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Yes. The lavenders are completely self...at least they were when i picked this little one up. Person who had them didnt want this color and I do. :)

10. peepblessed

Just wanted to share a couple of my sweet Catdance porcelains, 6 weeks old now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by